1957 Chinese SKS w/ factory fiberglass stock?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by 11pt, Jan 21, 2006.

1. 11pt

11pt New Member

Hi Guys,
    I've got a couple questions with a long lead-in, so please bear with me here. Also, before anyone tells me to go to simonov.net and ask SKSDave, I've done that several times. That's where I've gotten my information thus far and my emails keep coming back saying his box is full so he obviously has more than he can keep up with. That said, here goes.

I own two SKSs that I inherited from my dad. One is a Russian with a laminated wood stock and the other is Chinese with a fiberglass stock. I've never shot either one and he didn't either. I was planning to sell the Chinese and keep the Russian until I saw that the Russian is a refurb. Now I'm not sure if I want to sell either.

Obviously the Russian has been fired many times. The original receiver cover
    has been replaced as there is no arsenal stamp and a there is a barely discernable refurb stamp on it. It has a 1 stamped on the front sight post, which I have read is an accuracy grade. If that is true, then it will be a good shooter.

The Chinese one is the puzzler. From information I got on simonov.net, it looks like it was made in 1957 at factory 016. It has a reddish brown fiberglass stock that I believe came from the factory. I have seen these stocks mentioned, but haven't seen many pictures of them and can't find much information. I want to say that my dad told me the gun was unissued when he got it, but to be honest I can't remember. The inside is lousy with cosmoline. I have attached a couple pictures of it.

So my questions are 1) Is the stock actually from the factory and is it common for such an early gun? 2) Is there a way to determine if an SKS is actually unfired/unissued or is that option gone now that the information trail has ended? 3) Is it true that the Russian guns had the accuracy grade stamped on the front post and is it true that 1 is the best? Thanks for any info!
    Nate

Attached Files:

2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    From what I have heard, the "mud colored" red fiberglass stock on the Chinese SKS was fairly common in Vietnam.
  3. Tracker

Tracker New Member

4. 11pt

11pt New Member

Thanks guys! From what I can tell the fiberglass stock is what they referred to as a "jungle stock". It makes sense.....I've just never seen any others.
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I hate to disappoint you, but that is probably not a 1957 model SKS. Or if it is, then the stock is not original.

In 1957, this was about the time the Russians were starting to pack up and go home from their "assistance" project with the Chinese, in helping them get production going for the SKS. At this time, factory 296 (which would bear the triangle-26 code on the rifle) was almost the only factory in operation. The SKS was still new to the Chinese and they were still working out the design kinks. They definitely were not using the fiberglass jungle stocks yet.

What leads you to believe this is a '57 model? Be advised that the serial number convention of using the millions place number was not the same at every factory. The only one that it is proven to be accurate for was factory 296.

It does seem like a rather early example of the SKS, though. The blade bayonet was correct up until about 1965. The threaded barrel was correct for a lot longer than that. But the jungle stocks were a later modification. They were typically put on "export" rifles, and it was only after learning that wood stocks rotted rather quickly in the dense humid conditions of southeastern Asia. So the jungle stock was adapted for these large sales of export rifles, and meant to be stockpiled underground for disbursement to friendly forces.

If I were guessing, just based on what I see, I'd say yours was a mid-60's production rifle. The jungle stock may or may not be original to it.
  6. okeeemt

okeeemt New Member

i have a gun just like this. it has the stock like yours and same markings. i have a 74 round clip to it. i was wondering if you found any more info on this firearm? i am very curious about it 's history and value