1962 Beretta Silver Hawk 20ga. value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Drago, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Drago

Drago New Member

Hi folks, sorry my first post is to ask for help, but this is the best place on the web for finding out what a firearm is worth.

A friend has asked me to sell his 1962 or '63 (he can't remember exactly what year he bought it) Beretta Silver Hawk for him.

It has the single trigger, 26" barrel and is a 20ga. Both bores are mirror pristine, the wood is 95-98% except for a couple scratches (finish is still good and not flaking or cracking. The bluing is 98% on the barrels and the rifle functions like new. My friend told me he has shot maybe 60 rounds through it. He's the original owner. The only thing that is a gig, is that he filed off the bead because it always got caught in the gun sock. It could still be replaced as he left enough of the bead sticking up. I actually think the file job looks good. He's an expert hobbyist machinist, so this wasn't a bubba job.The serial # is 77xx.

I can get pics, if needed, but ball park based on the description, what would the value be? I have the 32nd Edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values, but ever increasingly, I'm disappointed how truly far off they are on many of the gun values I do know. I think I wasted $50.

Based on some web research, *********, Auction Arms, many online antique/collector gun sites, I've placed a rough value at $1450. This is higher than BBGV, but I think they are off.

Also, is this the Model 409 I see referred to? There's no "model #" on this SxS and BBGV doesn't list a model 409.

Your response is appreciated!

Jeff/Drago
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

Last week I bought a Beretta 409 (silver hawk) in 12 gauge from 1962. On the one I got, the wood is very nice and the nickel finish and engraving on the receiver are very nice. Problem is with the barrels. The bores are mint but somebody did a crappy job of rebluing them because of minor pitting; I am guessing because of improper storage. Because of this I got the gun for $240.00. Now I see checking on line that the 409 in 12 gauge is listed by various sellers from $975.00 to $1800.00. None that I have been watching have sold. Yours is a 20 gauge which would normally sell for a little more. Realisticly though, in todays economy I think you will have a tough time getting $1500.00 even in very good condition. But, this is just my opinion, I could be way off. Also, I read that if it is the model 409, this was stamped into the forearm wood (take off to see). Mine is stamped 409. Also on the barrel flats there should be a Roman numeral. This indicates the year proofed.
  3. Drago

Drago New Member

Thanks Double, this is just the info I was looking for. I actually forgot about looking on the forearm. I think you are right about the price, but what do you do...Ask a higher price, expecting to negotiate or ask a firm price? In a situation like this, where there's huge gaps in what other shotguns have sold for, I figure set the price above what I am willing to get and negotiate, if necessary. Hey, somebody (the right) somebody, may walk by and give me the asking price. Not likely, I know, but...

I'll look under the forearm for more numbers. (edited: It is in fact a 409 and the serial number is actually 377XX)

-Jeff
  4. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

I would set the price a little higher than what I hope to get and be prepared to negotiate a little. A lot of times if you put the price as "firm", people go on the defensive and won't even inquire, unless of course the price is low. On the other hand, don't set the price too high above what you hope for or people won't give you the time of day either.
    My gun has a serial number too, but you should also have a Roman numeral on the barrel flats. From what I learned, it is the Roman numeral that will date it.