1963 or 4 1911 Commercial

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Goody, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Goody

Goody Member

Picked up a Colt Government Model the other day, serial number 293*** C. Either a 63 or 64, 45acp. My pictures don't ever look worth a damn, so I will just give a brief description. The only thing not stock is the grips, got some pachmyars wrap around rubber thingies on it. The blue is really nice, I'd say 90% or better most everywhere, with the exception of right at the back of the slide, like right opposite the thumb safety. It is worn to bare metal there in about a one half inch square. No other holster wear that I can see, just a very faint line one the muzzle. Internal shows very little wear as well, and no one has been grinding on anything. Top of hammer has very little wear and the bottom of the slide is the same.

If you press me I'll try and do some pictures when I get home. In the meantime I have not been able to find any online sales to compare to, everything is either military or Series 70 and later. My latest book is 2008 (cheap bastage:eek:) and show a range of around 600-1200? I think they have improved considerably since then.

Thanks guys, I always learn something here.:D
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. Goody

Goody Member

Here are some pictures, remember I warned you they are terrible.

Attached Files:

3. Goody

Goody Member

165 looks and no opinion? Well, does anybody have a new Blue Book and can tell me the range in there?
  4. dcriner

dcriner Member

I think the main problem with the photos is the lighting. Best to use indirect lighting (no flash) to avoid glare and to better show the condition and finish. Focus is a problem, too. Are you using a cell phone for the pix?

It looks like the notch for slide stop may be boogered up? How is the bore?

I think your range of $600-1200 is high.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  5. Goody

Goody Member

Like I said, my pictures suck. These were taken outside on the patio, under an umbrella. I was still getting reflections of the tress and dog in the slide. The gherf marks on the slide release are not present when just looking, they must be a by product of bad photos. That's dirt in the notch, cleaned right out. Bore is perfect. What is your estimation of range of price, not on this particular one but on Pre 70 Series in general?
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think $1100-1200 is about right, or at least a good asking price, considering the non-original grips and the various marks. In better condition, it could go higher.

Jim
  7. Goody

Goody Member

Thanks Jim. I was thinking about the same, ask 1200, take 1000. If I can't get that I think I will keep it and sell my Series 70. It's nowhere near as pretty as this one.
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, you guys wanna buy mine?
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

That pistol would bring around $500 - $650 in this area tops.

It's nothing special and not perfect. If in 90% condition or better, it could bring more.
  10. Goody

Goody Member

I guess just different areas of the country. Around North Texas even Series 80's will bring 700-800 in average condition.