1968 Unfired FN Browning Safari

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Meatco1, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Meatco1

Meatco1 New Member

Hello:

I have been left an old (1968) FN Browning "Safari", 270 cal. It has a period Redfield (made is USA) 3x9 scope mounted with Redfield rings. It does not have dreaded "Salt Wood" stock.

It is unfired, and in pristine condition.

I know the 2006 “Blue Book of Gun Values” lists this rifle at about $ 1000.00 value, but for that kind of $$, I’m thinking of turning it into a everyday hunter. Personally, I much prefer the old Mauser FN action, and know from experience the Browning will be a shooter.

Is there any good reason why I should keep this in it’s unfired condition, and not turn it into a perfectly good hunting rifle?

Thanks,

Richard
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

No reason not to use this rifle and enjoy it. It isn't a collector item, and if you just take reasonable care of it it will retain most of its valie.
  3. Mark

Mark New Member

Meatco, The salt wood you mention was on all Superposed, T-bolt .22's, and high power rifles made from 1967 to 1974. Browning made an effort to seal the inletting and the outside of these stocks, but salt is salt.
    There is a good possibility the wood on your rifle has been replaced by Browning, under waranty, or is sealed with a stock finish in the inletting area to keep the rifle from rusting.

These are fine rifles, and quality wise will give many expensive custom rifles a real run for the money. My advice would be for you to use it and try to wear it out in your lifetime. I doubt if you will be able to put much wear on it even if you live to be a hundred. Take care of it, and just keep an eye out for rusting particularly where the wood contacts the steel.
    Mark
  4. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

Browning collectors will pay a premium of as much as 25% over Blue Book value for NIB / UNFIRED / minty vintage examples...

you might get more for it than you expect...

best regards, mike.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I might keep something like that long enough to sell it and buy a couple hunters
  6. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

i bought my Mom a:
    BABY BROWNING FACTORY LIGHTWIEGHT .25 acp
    silver-nickel plated
    mother of pearl grips
    gold trigger
    2-pc red and white hinged bakalite box
    factory leather zippered gun case

i paid $325.00...

i thought it was a wee bit steep, but the gun was NIB / UNFIRED

turned out that Browning fans pay a lot of money for NIB / UNFIRED guns...

selling it high, and buying some toys with the profits sounds right...

best regards, mike.
  7. Meatco1

Meatco1 New Member

Thank you all, I appreciate the input.

Although I believe the Safari will appreciate more, the futher down the road it goes unfired, I do not think I could buy a better rifle right, for the $1000.00 - $1200.00 it is worth. And frankly, I have no real desire to sell something left to me by a good friend.

Consequently, I will most likely turn this rifle into one of my favored hunters.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Richard