1972 West German Walther PPK/s

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by brigman52, Jan 9, 2009.

1. brigman52

brigman52 New Member

I've recently acquired a beautiful condition 1972 Walther PPK/s from a private sale. The gentleman was nearing that "age" and wanted to unload some inventory. I purchased it for very little $. It is an Interarms Import but stamped "West Germany" Came with 2 original mags but no box or paperwork. The serial # prefix starts with 163xxxS if that makes any difference. I've recently forwarded some pictures to a respected walther gunsmith here in the Northeast and off the bat offered me $500 for it. No questions asked. I've seen one for sale with a slightly later serial # for sale in a shop for $799. Are these people being delusional or are they really worth that much. Like i said, it's in beautiful condition but slight holster wear on the muzzle area.

Any info would be great. Thank you. Matt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Book value is not always the real world. Sometimes it's high , sometimes low. Coming up with a across the board value is not always easy. Depends on the firearm, condition, demand for that firearm in whatever part of the country you live in and so on and on. That said, two references show the value at 450 in excellent so 500 is not off the mark, but I feel 800 is delusional. The PPK/S is nothing more than a PPK slide on a PP frame. Made to conform with the 1968 import laws. This is just for information, at that time all pats were made in France, and assembled and finished in Germany. They are still referred to as "made in Germany", Interarms was the importer, Only in 1979 did Interarms start assembling them in the US. Hope that helps.
  3. brigman52

brigman52 New Member

Thank You Ron.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

The actual German made PP/PPK is worth more then the S&W because of historical value and, in a lot of people's eyes, the German models are better quality.
  5. brigman52

brigman52 New Member

Thank you also. So, since these parts were supposedly made in France, not Germany, but assembled in Germany, it would make this piece less desireable?
  6. RJay

RJay Active Member

No, All the the Manurhin, France Walthers are considered German build. The new PPK/S made by S&W are the same gun built under licence from Walther. The only difference is a slight design change { internal } in the grip. There are those who feel that because the new S&W PPK/S are built in the US it does not have the same mystic as the other Post War Walthers. I have handled and fired both and can see no differences
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. Heem

Heem New Member

I have one like yours with serial #151xxxS that I bought used in 1998 and I've been trying to figure out what it is. I've never seen one like it, even my gunsmith who carries a PPK/S is baffled. The only marking on the gun is the serial number on the frame, same as yours. There is nothing on the slide or anywhere else except for the logo on the grips! Also, the metal work on the INSIDE is rough, not up to normal Walther standards.

I like the very clean look of the gun and it shoots great, not bitten once. Everyone who sees the gun really likes the look, the way it handles, & shoots. I got concerned with the stopping power of the 380 acp and now carry a .45 Taurus Millennium Pro (11 rounds :eek:) but I can't bring myself to sell this gun!

Question: Pull the magazine and look inside at the frame. Is the metal work rough on yours?

"The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein
  8. RJay

RJay Active Member

Heem, the Walther PP and PPK is one of the most copied firearms in the world. In reference to your firearm, the East Germans made direct , unlicensed copies of the Walther PP and PPK. They look like the real thing but have no markings all . It sounds like that is what you have, and if so the value is not compatible with a authentic Walther.
  9. brigman52

brigman52 New Member

10. Heem

Heem New Member

RJay, thanks for the quick reply. I think you are right. I bought it at a gun show from a dealer in Jersey...:rolleyes:... I really liked the clean look of it and $325 didn't seem bad. There is much more info on the internet today than there was 10 years ago. Today I do massive research before buying. It is a good shooter & I'm a buy and hold guy so I have no problem with it. Thanks for helping, now I know what it is!

"For every one hundred men you send us,
    Ten should not even be here.
    Eighty are nothing but targets.
    Nine of them are real fighters;
    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
    And he will bring the others back."
  11. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

That's a great quote. Where is it from?
  12. Heem

Heem New Member

Heraclitus, 500 BC

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    - Benjamin Franklin, 1759
  13. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I had one that I traded for in '83. It was an "under License" one. I didn't notice it right away, but on the magazine port, near the back strap in small letters was "Made in France."
    Try looking there. Those sneaky Frogs!! TJ