1991 won't chamber last round

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by highlanderranch, Nov 27, 2009.

1. highlanderranch

highlanderranch New Member

Hello, I just bought a 1991 Commander from a friend. I trust him when he says that he has fired maybe 20 rounds through it. He's owned it for many years and just never shot it so he sold it to me. My problem is that the last round in the mag won't chamber every time. It just ends up standing straight up with the bullet sticking out the ejection port. In all the time he's owned it, the mag was not full of cartridges. This thing looks brand new. Any ideas?
  2. highlanderranch

It's basically a brand new gun, factory mag with a dimple. I've just never seen one jam the last round every time, with the cartridge standing straight up.
  3. highlanderranch

Yea, I'll have to give that a try. I'm sure the buddy I bought it from didn't do anything to it. The ramp is bare metal now. Would the factory have left it black or just gave it a quick once over?
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

The first change should be a different magazine. (If you don't have a spare yet, disassemble the mag and stretch the spring about 50%, assemble it again and give it a run.)

Another cause is limp wristing (If the follower has no tit).

Also, if it is a wadcutter magazine, the tit may be too far back for ball, as wadcutters are released sooner by the lips. Ball mags have the tit centered.
  5. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

called a stove pipe
    replace the barrel spring and

try some mags from a gun that is operating 100%

polishing seldom hurts and looks nice too.
  6. highlanderranch

It has the dimple centered and I was shooting ball ammo. Tomorrow I'll take a mag from my series 70 and try it. I know about limp wristing but I was shooting off a sandbag rest to see where point of aim is. Same shot every time. Claude do you think it needs a heavier recoil spring? I'll also do a little polishing first. As I said this is pretty much a brand spanking new 17 year old gun.
  7. highlanderranch

First time I took this one out to shoot. I wanted a commander for a long time and this one was too cheap to pass up. Hopefully I can get the bugs worked out. I did notice that the dimple is not very pronounced. I'll try again tomorrow if it doesn't snow.
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

The "dimple" (tit) is very small.

Hey, 20 years is a good while. Spring technology applied to 1911 mags has come a long way since then.

I bet a new mag works.

Good shooting and good luck.
  9. highlanderranch

Thanks to all. I polished the barrel hood, feed ramp and mag lips (very lightly). That helped a bunch. The shells were at least pointed in the right direction. I had to remove the mag spring and give it about another 1 1/2" stretch. Now it runs like a new one should.
  10. Keystone

Keystone New Member

1991? You mean a 1911, right?
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'd say it's a problem with the magazine. Buy a new magazine and see if it works differently. Worth a try. It would be cheaper than taking it in and having a gunsmith look at it.
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

1991 is basically the same thing as a 1911, but a 1991 is just a newer, more updated version. I think only Colt makes 1991's too.
  13. Keystone

Keystone New Member

Oh, I never knew that. Thanks guys. :D
  14. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

My dads sig has the same problem its totally just the spring put as many rounds threw it as u can it'll be frustrating but that's what my dad did and its better now
  15. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Oh an my dad thought it was me with the limp wrist but it did it to him and he defintly does not have that problem so seriously keep. Shooting but all the other advice rocks lol