1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

19th Century Smith And Wesson Pistol Inquiry

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by michaelv, Jan 8, 2011.

1. michaelv

michaelv New Member

I want to identify and appraise a Smith and Wesson Pistol that measures about 8" long. On the top of the barrel, is the S and W mfg info plus dates "rated Apr 2 July 9 1859 & Nov 21, 1885" Under the handle, there are some alphanumerics that look like [022[ I can't tell what the [ is.

I don't know how the trigger compartment functions.

The trigger pulls back and the barrel spins, but sticks a bit.

Thank you for any help.

Attached Files:

2. kobsw

kobsw Member

What you have there is a Smith & Wesson model 1 1/2 Tip-up (1 1/2, 1st issue).

The gun is chambered in .32 rimfire and is single action. It has an octagonal barrel, 5 shot non-fluted cylinder and spur trigger.

Note: This is the only model out of s&w's 6 original tip-ups with a cylinder stop at the bottom of the frame.

It's a square but w factory rosewood grips. The finish was likely blued.

This s/n range is 1 to 26300 with nearly that many guns made.

Value as always depends on what a buyer is willing to pay but I would expect between $100 - $150.

Nice bit of history you have add it to your collection and enjoy.

Best, kobsw
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Because its overall condition is so poor, I recommend keeping the gun as a wallhanger; any money or effort spent on repairs or restoration would be wasted.

Jim
  4. michaelv

michaelv New Member

Thanks for the info!

Mike