19th Century Smith And Wesson Pistol Inquiry

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by michaelv, Jan 8, 2011.

1. michaelv

michaelv New Member

I want to identify and appraise a Smith and Wesson Pistol that measures about 8" long. On the top of the barrel, is the S and W mfg info plus dates "rated Apr 2 July 9 1859 & Nov 21, 1885" Under the handle, there are some alphanumerics that look like [022[ I can't tell what the [ is.

I don't know how the trigger compartment functions.

The trigger pulls back and the barrel spins, but sticks a bit.

Thank you for any help.

Attached Files:

2. kobsw

kobsw Member

What you have there is a Smith & Wesson model 1 1/2 Tip-up (1 1/2, 1st issue).

The gun is chambered in .32 rimfire and is single action. It has an octagonal barrel, 5 shot non-fluted cylinder and spur trigger.

Note: This is the only model out of s&w's 6 original tip-ups with a cylinder stop at the bottom of the frame.

It's a square but w factory rosewood grips. The finish was likely blued.

This s/n range is 1 to 26300 with nearly that many guns made.

Value as always depends on what a buyer is willing to pay but I would expect between $100 - $150.

Nice bit of history you have add it to your collection and enjoy.

Best, kobsw
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Because its overall condition is so poor, I recommend keeping the gun as a wallhanger; any money or effort spent on repairs or restoration would be wasted.

Jim
  4. michaelv

michaelv New Member

Thanks for the info!

Mike