1lt Steve Shields locator help

Discussion in 'VMBB Find Your Nam Friends' started by rsbcsb, Feb 18, 2011.

1. rsbcsb

rsbcsb New Member

Lt Shields was KIA 20 Jun 72 near Tan Khai, south of An Loc. Was my brother in law-his sister (my wife) and I are going to Viet Nam to pay our respects and closure. We want to try to get as close to the incident as possible, but only have old army map coordinates. Does any one know hoe to convert or get real coordinates? Thanks So much
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I responded to your request in the Vietnam Memories Forum.

Steve and I were in the same unit in 1972.
  3. rsbcsb

rsbcsb New Member

Thanks so much-I am pretty ignorant about these forums and could not find your response, nor others. ? how do I?
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

5. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Rec'd a msg from Steve Shields relative today and they were very pleased with the help and objects we provided for them..I'll let Steve's brother-in-law tell you about them...I was certainly thankful what I sent along to them was what they had in mind for a memorial. Chief
  6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

In the spring of 1972 when Steve & I were crazy young flyers cutting through the skies in our Cobras the Vietnam war was nearly over. Except for Special Operations guys the ground pounders had all pretty much been pulled out of the field and only a few other U.S. Advisors were still out in the boonies working with the ARVN. After getting their butts thoroughly kicked in the '68 TET the NVA decided they were ready to give one more big try to claim victory on the battlefield. It was left to the U.S. flyboys like Steve and I to try and thwart their efforts.

The Battle of An Loc was our line in the sand where we made our stand. Unfortunately many good flyers like Steve Shields lost their lives doing the job. The enemy also paid dearly and suffered a humiliating defeat once again. Our unit, F/79 Artillery and the 229th AVN. BN. got our 2nd Presidential Unit Citation because of the extraordinary bravery and dedication to duty by the participants. In was a fitting end to the war, the 1st time that they got Pres. Unit Citation was at the very beginning of the war in '65 at a place called the Ia Drang Valley helping save Col. Moore, Joe Galloway and the 7th Cavalry.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011