1st post, need your help...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ulfootball211, Dec 24, 2010.

1. ulfootball211

ulfootball211 New Member

I am wanting to purchase a semi auto 22lr and I have narrowed it down to 4. Could you guys please give me advice or opinions on where I should lean. They are S&W M&P 15-22, Ruger SR-22, Sig 522 and GSG-5. Im leaning towards the S&W now but I really would like to get the best quality gun thats out there in the 22lr group. Thanks for any help and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If you want a shooter get a Marlin 60, Remington Model 552 Speedmaster or a Savage 64. If all you want is a pretend assault weapon look alike then it really doesn't matter much. Not to rain on your parade but do you want a quality shooter or a mean looking gun?

Oh yeah, welcome to the site, don't forget to book mark us so you can find your way back.

Why do they call me grumpy? I forgets.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the truth is there...:D
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

How much do ya wanna spend?
    Looking for something outa the box or something you can mod?

There are more Marlin 60's in the world than any other .22, but you can't mod it (per se'). As grumpy asked, what do you want to do with it?

Help us narrow it down for ya.:)
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

The only one I have oersonal experiance with, is the Ruger SR-22.
    And here is how that went...
    Bought it new and brought it home, nothing was tightened up on it. Had to go over it all and tighten everything up on it. Even the barrel "lug"/"spacer"(forget what that's called now, but it was in the wrong place. I then scope it and get it dialed in. Everytime I took it out to the range, the scope was off zero...this went one for about 3 times.
    Took the scope off and the 4 top reciever srews had worked lose. A little Loctite and good to go...put the scope back on and dialed it back in and never had not one problem with it AFTER all that crap. Shot like a NEW one after about a month of getting it shootable.."almost" a tack driver at 50yds. Went into a gun shop here a while back and low and behold a S&W model 586 DCM was there just sitting and calling my name out LOUD...that was the day my relationship with the SR-22 was ended...:)
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I have some experience with the GSG-5. I bought one early in 2010 and we shot about 2K rounds thru it last summer. It is a well-designed and well-made rifle. Totally reliable even with cheap WalMart ammo.

The gun has decent sights and a good solid feel to it. We only used the GSG-5 as a "soda can" gun so I can't comment on its target accuracy. Hope this helps.
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Want to see how fast a bulk box of ammo can disappear? Take GSG-5 and a young boy to the range. Buy extra mags. Bullseye shooting I don't have a clue but a pop can won't live long and is soon turned into a sieve. A fun gun for just screwing around.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I have fired the Sig522 and the GSG5. I liked them both and didn't have any problems with either. Both too expensive for me to just want to fire 22's with though. I would rather buy an AR or the 556 and get the 22lr caliber conversion kit for it. It would seem more useful to me, but that's just my .02
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+550 to that ! :D
  10. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

I agree with this guy, only I prefer my 10/22, as there are some NICE assault conversions for it out there. all of which are WAY cheaper than any of those guns and a 10/22 can be just about as accurate if not more if your willing to spend the same amount on them.

Some thoughts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All 10/22's in tactical disguise
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i got a notion i want a smith mp15-22
  12. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

13. ulfootball211

ulfootball211 New Member

I am looking to purchase a semi auto tactical 22lr rifle. I have narrowed it down the these rifles. If anyone could give me advice or comments I would be grateful. S&W M&P 15-22, Sig 522, Ruger SR-22 and GSG-5. Thanks in advance for any help and Merry Christmas
  14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Is the above info not good enough ?????
  15. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I agree with Old Grump! :D