The Firearms Forum banner

1st Time with 32 Cal BP Rifle

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  sharps4590 
#1 ·
Took my B&C rifle out for the first time today that my grandfather had made from scratch(well, not the barrel) and after sitting for about 35 years the first shot was in the bullseye at 30 yards using 35gr of FFFG . I said OK, lets move out to 100 yards. 2nd shot was about 3" to the right and about 1/2" low which I thought was pretty darn good for buckhorn sights. The next shot I used 5gr less powder just to see what it would do and the results were dead center but about 20" low, hummm, not enough poop. So then I decided to load up 5gr more than I did the first two shots, rammed the bullet down and then realized I just made my first newbie booboo, I forgot to put the powder in. Now I have to figure out how to get the bullet out...GRrrrrr

See less See more
#2 ·
With a drum and nipple arrangement it's easy. Pull the nipple, dribble in enough powder to do the job, install nipple, ram the ball down as far as you can, hopefully on top of the powder but for what little you need it won't hurt, cap 'er up and pull the trigger.

Nice piece of wood...and 35 grs. is plenty for a 32. That'll blow off parts of a squirrel unless you take head shots. 100 yards is also a "fer piece" for a little ol' .310 ball.

#3 · (Edited)
What do you think is enough to do the job, maybe 10gr - 15gr?

Yes it is. I remember my grandfather coming in with this block of wood saying it was going to make a beautiful stock.

BTW, we use to take these out shooting groundhogs but then those were .45 cal. That was 51 years ago back in Ohio. What I really like about all his guns is that they had hair triggers. Don't touch the trigger unless you want it to go boom! :)

#4 ·
I'd try 20 grs. and see how accurate it is. 15 is ok in the 32's but from what I can recall it never shot as good as 20. Before I decided to just stick with the 36 cal., 20 grains was my load in the several 32's I've owned. I use 20 grs. in my 36's also. Even then if you get a little off the head and back into the shoulders.....you won't have any shoulders and the front legs are my favorite piece of squirrel.

I'd be more than a little partial to a fine set of set triggers too.

#7 ·
I tried a bullet puller at the range when it happened and all it did was pull out of the bullet. I think I may have to take the barrel off and go through the breach if it has one because when I tried air, it just blew right out the barrel. I may have put a hole all the way through the bullet with the puller.

#8 ·
Ohh...I'm sorry I misunderstood....duhhh, dopey me. Sure, 10-15 would be plenty. Just shoot it somewhere so you know with absolutely certainty that the ball exited the bore.

#10 ·
Nice looking rifle your grandfather made, sorry to hear of your misfortune when you took her out to the range.

If you've put a hole through the ball you might not be able to get it out by using compressed air or by putting a bit of powder under the nipple and firing it, but try it anyway, it might work, remove the nipple and get as much powder as you can inside the drum as you can, it won't be much because there's not much room. Replace the nipple and ram the ball down as far as it will go and touch her off. If the ball doesn't clear the bore repeat the above and try to get a bit more powder in the breech, try holding the gun sideways and tapping it to get the powder you put in the drum to move into the breech and then add a bit more, ram the ball down and try it again.

If you've put a hole clear through the ball as you suspect this probable won't work but it's worth trying.

Second option is to screw the ball puller back into the ball to plug the hole in it and use compressed air to try to blow the ball and puller out of the bore, try to unscrew the rod from the puller leaving the puller in the ball, make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction, compressed air has a surprisingly high amount of force.

If all else fails you will need to remove the breech plug and push the ball out, your gun has a drum and nipple so make sure you have the drum removed before you try to unscrew the breech plug, sometimes the drum threads into the breech plug preventing it from being removed first with out breaking something.

It sounds like this rifle is still in as new condition so she shouldn't be rusted up in the breech threads but soaking it in penetrating oil before attempting to remove the drum and breech plug sure wouldn't hurt anything.

#11 ·
I've been shooting muzzleloaders, traditional ones, for over 40 years and I cannot count the number of times I've helped guys....and had to do it for myself...remove balls that were dry loaded. If you remove the nipple and tap the side of the barrel as you are pouring in 3 or 4 F you can probably get close to 15-20 grains under one, especially with a drum and nipple arrangement...more than enough to blow the ball and in fact, 20 grs. is my 36 cal. squirrel hunting load. If it doesn't come out first shot, remove the nipple and you can more than likely get in as much as you want as the first attempt will have moved the ball up the bore exposing more volume in the breech area. Just remember to seat the ball back down on the powder before you cap it up and shoot it out. You don't and never did need a removable breech plug and for those who think so you need a couple more decades experience. I have never, ever had to remove a breech plug on a traditional rifle to remove a dry loaded ball......not even a flintlock.

#12 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I was able to remove the nipple and drum and get in 15gr of powder. CLosed her back up, rammed the ball back down and boom, out came the ball. I was so happy I shot it 12 more times Friday. :D

#13 ·
Good deal Thumb...but I don't believe you would have had to remove the drum....although I will allow as to how that made it even easier!!!

#17 ·
I don't trust anyone who says they have never dry balled, They will lie to you about other things too. I've blown many out with a little powder under the nipple or through the flash hole. If all else fails you can install a grease fitting in place of the nipple & push the ball out with a grease gun. It's messy but safe & easier than pulling the breach plug.

#18 ·
I rather agree Boogiman. There are two kinds of muzzleloader shooters, those who have dry balled and those who will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.