1st timer

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Woodrow, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

Just getting started and planning on gettin the Lee 4 hole turret kit. will be loading .223 and 45 acp mostly I like the idea of auto indexing but its looks like the turret can be used as a single stage also. opinions welcome have already started my reading of the ABC's of reloading. I work on a boat and will have lots of time away from the press to book school any good kindle suggestions
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, Woodrow, from across the pond. You've stumbled on a great forum. The people here are friendly and knowledgable and free with their counsel. You'll find lots of friendship, help and good humor here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question here is the unasked one. We all started out from knowing nothing and learned by doing just what you are doing--reading and asking questions.

I have a progressive press which I use for .223 and .357. I use it as a single stage press for the .223's and as a progressive press for the .357's. You'll find discussions of presses across this part of the forum. There is a sticky at the top of this section in which Jack404 has uploaded an entire library of reloading information. As you get closer to actually reloading ask all you want.

And...welcome again to the forum
  3. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

You can use the LEE Turret press as a single stage. All you have to do is remove the indexing rod and you're good to go. You could still use it as a turrret with the indexing rod removed, but you would have to index it yourself, which is'nt that big of a deal.

I won't be able to comment if there are any digital versions of the reloading books out there.

You cant go wrong with that turret press. I have loaded countless rounds on it without any issues.
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Welcome Woodrow!

you are correct the Lee progressice can be used as a single stage. by removing the indexing rod. you then can leave your dies in place and do 1 die or operation at a time. the turn the top plate containing the dies to the next die and do all the shells for the next stage.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day Woodrow , Welcome to the forums

the Lee 4 hole is a nice rig to start and yes it can be set as a single stage ,

as a tip always check your "auto index" every few rounds when you set up after a while check less often as you know its fine .. but each initial setup check every 3-5 in case ..

enjoy!!

i've posted most of the manuals and some other guides to reloading here..

http://jack404.minus.com/mM4hmczwF

or the entire directory is open to all

http://jack404.minus.com/
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

we all posted within seconds hahahaha
  7. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

Thanx for the tip and I appreciate the welcome from everyone
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We're a friendly group, eager to greet newcomers. :D
  9. Jim Duncan

Jim Duncan New Member

Yes.... welcome. I use the 4 hole Turret Press and reload .223 and various pistol calibers as well. Its a great unit and quite versatile. My first name is also Woodrow and there just aren't that many of us around... trust me. :)
  10. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

Im anxious to start this new experience in my love for guns and shooting. Thats the good thing about my job I have 4 weeks at a time to Read and learn then I get 4 weeks off to hands on what I have learned
  11. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'm using the single stage lee, having a universal decapper is a huge help
  12. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Welcome to both Woodrows from the GREAT STATE OF IOWA! Does one of you guy's have the middle name of Wilson? Enjoy your reloading and stay safe!
  13. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

I would recommend you get the Lee Classic Turret rather than the Lee Turret. It is better built than the regular Lee Turret.
  14. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

Yep thats the one I have picked out
  15. Jim Duncan

Jim Duncan New Member

I often refer to that rascal Woodrow Wilson when clerks get my name backwards and call me Mr. Woodrow. However I often realize they have no clue who he was... I mean how many people have a last name of Woodrow? Maybe 10 in the entire USA? Nah... probably 5. The fact that people don't even recognize a name of a president is sad enough even if he was a scalywag. I will say that the current sitting Kenyon makes even the worst past presidents look a tad better in comparison. That's all I have to say about that.

P.S. I used to live in Wilton Junction, Iowa.