2 Ammendment protection for edged weapons?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by jacksonco, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I am aware that most effort needs to be emphasised on retaining and expanding our inherint right to keep and bare arms. But what about knives? Would not the second aply to them also? When written in to the Constitution knives and swords were still a common and often used weapon for self defense. In West Virginia it is unlawfull to posess a knife with a blade lenght greater that 3 1/2 inches unless it is being used for a secondary lawfull activity such as hunting or fishing. I have a SIGTAC knife I got for free when I purchesed my 1911 SIG. I would love to carry it but I can not in WV since it has a 4" blade. I know some states allow up to 4" blade. I would think that if a person wanted to walk around all day with a Bowie Knife with a 13 inch blade there should be no legal ramifications for having posession of it.

Knives will be the second target of the anti 2A groups to go if firearms are outlawed. It has already begun in the UK.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The following is my opinion, and, yes, I have one of the others as well. :D

We are going to have to get a court ruling which says the proper things.

If the deciding court ruling says something like "firearms which are dah dah dah" then edged weapons will have to fight their own battle

If the court ruling says something like "weapons which are dah dah dah" then all is open.

Under any circumstances, the gap between the 3.5" blade and the 12" blade is going to be a gray area.

Let's get the firearms fight won first. Then we can get along on the Bowies, sabers and rapiers.

Pops
  3. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

Re: 2 Amendment protection for edged weapons?

To answer your question, "sort of."
    Crappy answer, right? I know. ;) Unfortunately, the U.S. Supreme court has been perfectly happy to leave knife laws to local lawmakers.

HOWEVER....

Depending on where you live, most knife laws only refer to concealed knives. So, if you wear it on your belt, in plain sight, it's legal -- regardless of blade length. So, 12" Bowie under your coat = illegal. On your belt = legal. Go figure.
    Just be sure you check your local laws before wearing the pigsticker to the supermarket! :D
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Arms are arms be it pitchfork, knife, sword or firearm
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I will pretty much stick to my Swiss Army Knife. You never know I may make the news one day for using the cork screw on some very unlucky mugger. Of coarse I would have been using to get my bullet back.... ha ha ha