2 questions on new (to me) H&R 999

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Liberty1776, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Liberty1776

Liberty1776 New Member

Hello -

New to the forum; not to guns. Except for my very first H&R 999 which I just bought (slightly) used.

Two questions - 1. when ejecting, shouldn't the cylinder stay in place, and the extractor lift the brass out? My whole cylinder lifts, unless I hang on to it with a couple fingers. I don't know what is normal. (I have an owner's manual I just bought - in the mail to me right now, but you know -- I can't wait. New gun and all...)

2. On cylinder indexing - when cocked single action, the cylinder can still be moved slightly (by hand) until full lock-up, maybe 1/16" or so. Opening the gun while cocked and checking alignment, the cylinder does not seem to be completely lined up straight with the bore.

I've always wanted a 999; got this one cheaply enough at auction that I don't mind fixing it if needed; I just don't know if it needs fixing or not? I've read enough to know there is a real pro on H&R revolvers here, and any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

I never owned an H&R in this model but many of the others.I heard it's one of the best ones to own.I hope you can figuire out whats wrong.