1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

2 unknown .32 shorts

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by focusmaniaczx3, Nov 16, 2009.

1. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

after telling my dad about the success i had with you guys helping me identify my "new" iver johnson .32 today we are wanting to figure out what his old .32's are exactly.
    Information I have: if i use a * in the description that means the letter or symbol is too degraded to make out.
    the first one is a smith and wesson top loading 5 shooter double action trigger. on the side of the barrel it looks like it says "*32 S. & W. CTG*" the serial number on the bottom of the grip says "254986" it has the S&W trademark stamped on the metal directly under the hammer as well as on the top of the grip on both sides. i cannot get the screw out of the grip to remove it and see what's under there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the second one i have no clue what it is. there are no identifying marks on the gun that im familiar with. it is also a .32 short top loading 5 shooter. but it is a single action hammerless. at the top of the grip on both sides it has U.S. stamped into the grip. the serial number is on the bottom of the trigger guard. i cannot remove the grip from this one either but luckily i can clearly read the serial number. it is 030643. there is also some very very faint lettering on the bottom of the grip it says "**AT, JUNE 1696 UC**" and then under that it says P or F A then F or T'S FENDIN** or something to that effect. its so worn down that i can barely make out anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i would like to learn as much information about these 2 revolvers as i can. it would be nice to get a guesstimation as to how much they might be worth. (my old man is dying to know). thanks for any help you guys
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i can't help you with the S&W but the second model is most likely a second model iver johnson safety automactic hammerless serial number O 30643 was manufactured in 1905. but it could also be a U.S. Revolver Co. model which were built on the second model frame. i am betting on the grips not being original.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------- -–1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish with blue optional, two frame sizes and three calibers. Hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall all length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$150
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

this revolver in the condition shown is probably not worth more than $50 as a parts gun.
    bill
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Going by the serial number, the first one is a .32 S&W Double Action 4th Model.
    These were made in the serial range of 43,406 - 282,999 from c.1883 - 1909.
    Appr, 239,000 produced. I can't get any idea of condition from the pictures, but these are not scarce guns. Normal values seem to run between less than $100 up to a couple hundred. Real nice original ones may bring more.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just want to take this opportunity to say how amazed I am with Mr. Goforth and his wealth of knowledge and his sharing of this knowledge. It must be a full time job. Many kudo's to you Sir.