20 Gauge reload question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jake, May 11, 2008.

1. Jake

Jake Member

I,m using 15.5 grains of universal powder, waa20 wad, w209 primer, and aa hulls with 7/8 oz. shot and this load shoots high in all three 20 gauges I have. Is that common? Will a different load solve the problem or are the guns just high shooters? I,m looking to buy an o/u 20 and if I can't figure out the problem I aint sure I want another 20. Oh by the way, what is a good load for skeet in 20 gauge?
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I guess it depends on how high high is. Typically the "experts" say 60% of the pattern should be above center and 40% below. Have you patterned it to determine where you are at?

As far as a good load I shoot skeet in a Ruger Red Label in 12 ga so don't have any experience with a 20. Alliant has a new powder out called 20/28 and it is designed for 20 ga skeet loads and have several receipes on their web site. Just click on the 20/28 link at the right. I'd give it a try. I bought the Clay Dot Powder that is fairly new they developed and it is a really clean burner and gives me good results.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/
  3. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Jake;

What Terry said +1.

If your gun is shooting high, how high? Also, how are you mounting the gun and are you pointing or aiming.
    if all three of your guns shoot the same (high) in equal parts, I suspect it is a shooter malfunction as opposed to a gun malfunction. Please understand I am not being flip or criticizing. I have had to have a lot of help with my shotgun when I began shooting clays. I have been a tactical shotgun shooter and instructor along with shooting tens of thousands of hi power rifle rounds over the years. So naturally I had to have an instructor help me.
    It is very difficult to do much good for you at long distance, but I will tell you this in answer to your query.
    !. It is not your load causing the gun to shoot high. I load almost exactly the same as you with either Universal or Unique and now I have two jugs of the 20/28 that Terry mentioned. These powders will neither cause you or your gun to shoot hi or low. And changing the load will not correct same.

If you can, take it to a range and shoot from a rest. Be as accurate with your sights as possible and see what the result is. Then stand, point at your target mounting the gn in the hollow of your shoulder, not on the point of th shoulder as a rifle would be mounted.
    I believe you will then correct yourself.

Good luck, let us know the outcome, we all can learn.

UF
  4. Jake

Jake Member

As soon as this brutal wind and rain dies down I'll go to the gun club and see whats going on. On the skeet field I have to aim about 6 inches below target to hit it. Thats six inches I see at the end of the barrel. My 12'6 and 16's aren't like this. They shoot dead on.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Not sure I understand but are you saying you see 6" of bbl when you mount the shotgun or you are aiming the bbl 6" low to hit or both? I guess the question is when you close your eyes and bring the shotgun to your shoulder what are you seeing or in another way does the gun fit you? I saw a program on one of the NRA shows about changing the verticle center of the pattern by adding shims to the stock. If the gun fits but is hitting high then I would take the gun and pattern(s) to a decent gunsmith and have him help you. With me when I mount the gun to my shoulder it feels like my eyes are controlling shotgun and where I look is where the shot goes.
  6. Jake

Jake Member

It's gotta be me and the way I hold them. A buddy from work shot all three and he hit just fine with them. Guess I need a pro's help with gun fit.:(