1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

20 gauge sabot - sight in project

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/15/02 4:27:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 20 gauge sabot - sight in project
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These things cost about 2 bucks a shot so a guy wants to do it as quick and cheap as possible.

I know this is redundant for many Cabin members but I also know there are a lot of lurkers out there and hopefully somebody out there can gain something from this.

First thing at any range a guy needs something easy to use to hold targets that is easy to move and set up. For this I just don't think you can beat those realty signs and with the election finally over those abandon political signs are great too. They go in the dirt easy, they are cheap and cloths pins work great on 'em to hold targets. They fit in a trunk and don't take up much space when not in use.

Sheets of blank newspaper are about as cheap as you can get for targets and readily available at about any u-haul or moving business. People use it to pack up breakable stuff. A can of paint makes a quick and simple aim point.

Now this is a gun check not shooter practice so you are going to need a good solid rest. I use a stone shooting bench at my home range but about any decent shooting range is going to have a bench of some kind. Bring your own blocks of some kind, sand bags and a ratchet strap along with the usual bullets and weapon you want to sight in.

Set your target at 25 yards for a first shot and you are all set to start. I use the 25 yard starting point for every weapon from scoped high power rifles to iron sight pistols and always get this dead on. Get your sand bags and blocks set so the gun is on target with no muscle effort. With an empty chamber, dry fire one aimed "shot". If those sights move off target with a dry fire you need to adjust your support for more reliable repetition. You just saved your self 2 bucks.

Now once you've got a reliable support load one in the chamber of the "cold" gun with a clean barrel and fire one, no doubt, on target aimed shot. Leave the chamber open between shots to promote a quicker return to ambient temperature and WALK down there to take a look. You have some time to kill any way.

We're not talking a 50 shot NRA competition here. This is something way more important. This is something you wait all year for the two week window of opportunity to take the ONE shot you've practiced to do all year. The one you've spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of guns, ammo, support equipment and hours pursuing. If you are like a lot of people you may even be using vacation time you could have spent with your family or working to support that family to make this one shot.

That shot is going to come out of a gun at ambient temperature. If that first shot is good and you know where it's going, it doesn't matter what happens next.

Once the barrel has cooled down, yes even one shot can make a difference on some guns, shoot another one with the same sight picture. Absolutely no adjustment yet. I suggest another dry fire first to recheck there has been no change in the sand support and it doesn't hurt to get the practice and fight the urge to just go ahead and shoot one sooner than ya should.
    ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/15/02 4:29:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 20 gauge sabot - sight in project
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now normally I'd always recommend a three shot group as the minimum prior to any adjustments or change in the target distance but on this particular project I'm going to call two at 25 yards good enough.

What do you think? Me to.

Now this started out to demonstrate the tight wads way of sight alignment but do to the, uhm, circumstance I'm going to just give a reasonable facsimile and a description.

At this point, assuming the point of impact is different from the aim point, the ratchet strap comes in to play.

Hook the strap up over the gun so that it is held firmly on the sand bags. Don't tighten that strap down on top of a free floating barrel. Make sure it is in a solid support area. Something to keep in mind is the option of even taking the barrel off and strapping it to the bags and block by it's self.

Just make sure the sights are solidly aligned with the same sight picture as when the shots were fired.

At this point get out your little screw driver and adjust the sights from the point of aim over to the point of impact or the center of the group.

Now you are ready unhook the straps, reassemble the weapon and shoot one to verify the adjustment and if you had a good tight group there is no need to fire more than one to confirm the adjustment.

---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/15/02 4:30:54 am)
    Now that we are dead on at 25 yards, the job IS NOT FINISHED. No matter what the charts or gun magazines say you need to shoot any weapon at the maximum distance you are going to expect to in the field. This is not only to sight in but also to verify the weapon is capable of the job and to maintain your range estimation skills and KNOW the performance capability of this specific weapon and ammunition. When you are making that ONE shot this year you will be amazed at the feeling of confidence this experience can give you and in a difficult and tense situation CONFIDENCE in your weapon can make all the difference between a routine "run of the mill" kill and an exciting all day blood trailing experience.

Myself, I'd just as soon my blood trailing skills remain rusty.

For this weapon, an iron sighted shotgun, the areas I hunt and my style of hunting, it would be highly unusual for me to need more than 75 yards of range so that's where we'll go to next.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/15/02 4:33:29 am)
    Fire one at 75 yards. Use the sand bags and blocks. We've come this far it's no time to get in a hurry and start introducing the human skill factor such as breathing, cold fingers or a shaky chair.

After this first shot, once again leave the chamber open and take a little walk down range to see the hole. If it is on the paper, no matter where, let the barrel cool down to ambient temperature and shoot group.

I can't emphasize enough that the barrel absolutely has to cool down to the same temperature as the outside air between every shot. You want to KNOW what that FIRST shot is going to be capable of doing. The first one, when the quarry is unaware, calm and at it's least jumpy is your absolute best chance of success. You don't want to be betting your whole season on a succession of shots at terrified running game. That is essentially what people are doing when they set down, fire three shots and move their sights, shoot three shots and move the sights.

Now here's the results of the remaining four shots from this Remington 870 with fully rifled barrel, iron sights and Winchester 20 gauge Sabots.

Along with an example of getting a slug gun set up with the expense of "only" eight dollars worth of ammunition there is more to be learned here.

The moral of the story is that this gun and ammunition is really at best a 75 yard set up, before you ever introduce the human error factor. It will easily shoot single ragged hole groups at 25 yards. Now I'll be the first to say that a shot gun is no rifle but it does serve to exaggerate the situation to make the point obvious.

Sighting in is NOT hunting. You have to shoot the yardage you want to kill at. Anything else is disrespectful of the animal and unsafe and discourteous at the least for everyone else in the field.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/15/02 9:58:01 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 20 gauge sabot - sight in project
    good ideas Jack, I had not thought about the realter and political signs.

Another tip- use a unpainted piece of sheetrock for a target. the bullet holes show up very good as black dots on the white surface. Don't need a spotting scope to see them. At 50 and 75 yards you can see them with the nekkid eye and at longer ranges a regular scope or binoculars is more than enough.

Cheap to, I buy a 4x8 piece of 3/8 for $3.50 and get over 50 targets out of it.

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/02 11:44:26 am)
    Thanks for the lesson Jack!! Good points...especially about ambient temps...it can be hard to be patient. I've also heard that there can be a difference in accuracy between a barrel that's been cleaned a one that's been shot through.

I really like the cargo strap. The guys shootin the .577 T Rex could've used something like that.

Chas