$200 PER fish bounty... just to go fish just to go fishin'? IT'S TRUE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjp28, Apr 6, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

$200 PER fish bounty... just to go fishin'? IT'S TRUE!

UGLY little sucker! :eek:

[​IMG]

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...gift-cards-dead-snakehead-fish-163943568.html

Getting paid to fish sounds like a dream come true to some. But does it have the same appeal if you're going up against a "fish from hell" that can travel on land and sink its teeth into a steel-toed boot?

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources Inland Fisheries (DNR) is hoping so and is offering $200 gift cards through Bass Pro Shops to residents who capture and kill a snakehead, an invasive species from Africa that is upsetting the natural order of the local ecosystem.

"We do not want snakeheads in our waters," DNR Director Don Cosden tells FoxNews.com. "This initiative is a way to remind anglers that it is important to catch and remove this invasive species of fish."

The snakehead was first seen in Maryland back in 2002, after an 18-inch adult was caught in a local pond. But the powerful fish, which has no natural predators in the region, is also a determined survivalist (they can survive for up to four days on land) and has since migrated to the nearby Potomac River and its tributaries.

It's illegal to sell snakeheads in most U.S. states. But as I reported several years ago, federal agents have uncovered illegal snakehead selling operations in several states, including New York, Texas, Florida and Missouri.......SEE THE STORY......
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

If I lived out that way I would be all over that............I figure you could make quite a bit of dough.
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

.....To qualify for one of the $200 gift cards and an assortment of other prizes, all you have to do is upload a photo of yourself with a dead snakehead to the DNR's Angler's Log site. The only complicated part is actually capturing and killing one of the "fish from hell."....

[​IMG]
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I could do without alot of crap that comes from africa.
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Im a little suspicious of this. If this was the case, people could just pass around a fish to each of thier buddies and all get the reward. I'm not saying it's not true; states have done dumber things, but it does seem especially stupid. Maybe the DNR director is just looking for a reason to be fired....
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

200 bucks/snakehead; they'd be growin them here in Alaska for that.
  7. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

they've been catching those things then having to kill them with .22s. the damn things can live 4 days out of water.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thems bullseye snakeheads. Gettn pretty prevalent in southern lakes. They are fish from hell but they are easy to catch as they are highly aggressive and good eatn too.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

eh? whats that ??? a bounty pest that you can eat ??
  11. Sorrowful Jones

Sorrowful Jones New Member

I saw a show not too long ago about this fish. It is one bad hombre'. Quite amazing actually...and will be potentially devastating to game fish. If you catch one, kill it.... then kill it again. I have my doubts if someone could collect a bounty simply by taking a picture of themselves with a fish.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    About 90% of the snakehead's diet consists of other fish, though it also eats crustaceans, insects, and plants. In its native range it can live in water with temperatures ranging from 0 to 30 degrees C; it is found in muddy or vegetated ponds, swamps, and slow-moving streams. Snakeheads can breathe air and survive for up to four days out of water, and can survive for longer periods of time when burrowed in the mud. They are capable of traveling over land to new bodies of water by wriggling their bodies over the ground. Snakeheads are considered valuable food fish. Called nga gyi in Burmese, it is a prized fish eaten in a variety of ways. In Vietnamese, they are called ca loc, ca qua, or ca chuoi, it is prized in clay pot dishes and pickled preparations. Larger species, such as Channa striata, Channa maculata, and Parachanna obscura, are farmed in aquaculture.
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

In Alaska, the dumb ole Indians have been using fish traps for thousands of years and doing quite well at it too. Fish tend to spawn and seasonally spend their time in certain areas of any watershed. Wouldn't be hard at all to locate and trap with bait and mesh traps; boy I bet some bloody meat & fish guts would bring in every snakehead for miles. Maybe people don't chum in lower 48, but I usually dump a couple 5 gal buckets of salmon heads & bloody guts in my eddy and within a day the water is black with fish. Fish have better noses than we do.

Local Indians have a few backwater weed beds where they build funnel traps outta willow & poplar for ling (burbot) and they don't even bait them; they get 40-50, yard long fish every few days that is called poor mans lobster; good eatin.

This is the Yukon's snake head, ling cod, has good teeth, eats everything and sure is good to eat. I never get tired of ling like I do wild king salmon. Those snake heads might be tasty?
    [​IMG]
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well maybe they're not quite that bad....but Zhurh might have a point, call some true "professional" fishermen to the job.

I'd be curious if anyone here knows anyone who's caught any of these $200 bounty fish? Just bagging 10+ might be a nice month's pay.....

.....then take the rest of the month off and go fishing. :)
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

They were supposedly introduced by the asians for food. As stated above, in other countries they are a good food source and they had a market here for them. Supposedly people were trying to raise them here and they got loose some way or other and they began thier take over.

That's the rumor, anyway.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Pet trade country. The Asian fish importers were smuggling them into florida in the 90s. They are something of a fascination to sadistic pet owners because of their violent feeding habits. they will literally shred a goldfish into pieces as they devour it. problem folks have with em and coincidentally how they ended up in the US rivers and lakes is silly things have a bad habit of growing when you feed them, and since they have such fascinating eating habits they get fed alot when they are in someones fish tank. Unfortunately once they hit 8-10 inches long they can strip a human finger of most of its flesh with one aggressive rip-roll, so the pet owners toss em in the potty and hit the flusher while standing on the lid.

Carver is spot on. these are incredibly robust fish, they can live in waters other fish would suffocate in because they do not have gills, they have a lung just like a reptile, which is why they can survive out of water for so long. They are a water preferring amphibious fish with one mean set of teeth and a $#!++y attitude.

I have caught and eaten snakehead, you just catch them with conventional bass lures. I caught my first on a scum frog. Just toss em on ice and filet them later. They are great fried with tater wedges and dill tartar sauce. Gotta whack em in the head like a catfish tho before you filet them, or theyll snap your fingers off.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  17. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

MJP, It's not all that hard to target specific fish species; but for the last hundred years traps, set nets, fishwheels, ect have been illegal for what now is called sport fish; the traditional know how has been lost except in certain states that still allow such activities.
    Seriously, it's not all that hard to clean out a certain fish if they get serious about it. Most fish migrate seasonally from lakes into streams and from river systems into feeder streams & swamps; easy to set traps and get every one of them. I watched the Indians catch grayling, salmon, whitefish, burbot, sheefish, practically every fish found in the Yukon in traps that were set to intercept when the fish migrate. Each fish type has it's own time line to migrate; you usually catch all of one kind of fish. Them Indians been doing it since time began.
  18. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

fishing with a clever sounds ideal. look, snakehead... there's its body over there lol