.204 Ruger input needed...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Zane71464, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I stopped by the GS Saturday and saw an older Savage model 11 in .204 Ruger
    caliber sitting up on top of the counter with a BSA Contender scope,
    8-32x50mm AO and called back yesterday and he still had it.
    Plastic stock but with the Accu-Trigger in it.
    I went back yesterday and he still had it, so I snatched it up. I've never owned a .204 caliber and from my understanding, the 40gr. is what is "called"
    for in the 24" Savage on standard??

I was wondering as to what sort of ammo all you .204 Ruger shooters use that
    works well and as far as range, (i know alot of things come into play on that as well....Wind being one) of the capabilities of the .204 cal.?

I got the rifle to use a coyote hunting rifle...somewhat light to pack around
    and thinking with perhaps some V-Max type of factory ammo I may be able to
    reach out there to at least 400 or so yards spot on.

Any and ALL input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Like most factory barrels you may have some trial and error with factory ammo to find what shoots and works best for your rifle. Take time to clean as if the barrel is coppered to be sure it is very clean. You could find to that your scope might have to much power for good eye relief and hunting and a 4-16 or 6-24 works better but time will time there. Sounds like a nice rifle. Read around here to see if something can be gained from this site-http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/20caliber/
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had an H&R Handi Rifle single shot in .204 with a 22 inch barrel. I bought brass and bullets for it and loaded my own. I was shooting a 32 Grain V-max bullet at about 3800 fps through it. I will say that I never used it on any varmints (except paper), and I zeroed it at 200 yards. The 32 grain .204 bullet seemed to be a very flat shoot bullet so I would venture to say that 400 yards without much adjustment is possible. I can't say any thing about the 40 grain bullet, though.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I haven't fired a Savage in .204 and I'm not sure what they use for twist rate. From what I've read on the net, I think they use the original "standard" of 1:12".
    Some guys say the've had problems getting good stability with 1:12" twist .204s and are recommending faster twists for 40gr.

My Howa is 1:12" and my results so far have been good with 40gr Vmax but I haven't done any serious load development with any of the 39/40gr bullets yet.
    Just using some loads picked out of a quick ladder test, I'm getting around 1.5" at 200yds with the 40gr Vmax. But those same loads are only grouping 2"-2.5" at 100yds...like the bullet hasn't fully stabilized out at 100yds.
    For coyote hunting, 1.5"@200yd is good enough for me but I'm sure I'll fiddle some more to see if I can get smaller groups.

In the meantime, and as "break-in ammo", I've just been shooting the 32gr Vmax Hornady factory loads out of my Howa and it just loves em.
    Once I got about 50-60 rounds through it, it settled into 3/4" @ 200yds and it'll one-hole @100yds. I can't complain about that for factory ammo!
    I've had good luck anchoring yotes with the 32gr Vmax too. Got around a dozen of them with that rifle the past two winters and every one of em dropped like I stung em with a .22-250. My longest yote shot with the .204 was 375yds and it was a nice clean lung shot that turned his chest cavity to soup and he only ran about 3 steps.
    By reading the forums, browsing the load data, and talking to local 204 shooters, I was pretty convinced that I'd want to use 40gr for yotes as well but after taking the 32gr into the field I'm impressed with their performance on yotes. I'm not a real avid long-range shooter though and I try to get my yotes in to 200yds or less regardless of what I'm shooting.

As for both wind deflection and trajectory, the 32gr Vmax is near identical to 50gr from the .22-250. The 40gr seems to buck wind like a 55gr .22-250 but it does drop more once you get past 300yds.

It means reading another forum, but there is a lot of good info (and I think a lot of "bench talk" too) over at www.204ruger.com . That's where I got most of my ideas from when I starting brewing up loads for my rifle.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. Zane71464

I sure appreciate all the info guys! I havent bought any ammo for it yet as time hasnt been on my side as of late. Have a feller that will havesome in on Friday, and I think he said he'd have two bullet grains in, 40gr. and 32gr.. So may try both rounds out till I can get/see from shooting the rifle what grain bullet will work best in the Savage. (and then other weights)
    From wht I've "heard" the .204 round hasnt been around all that long.(?) And havent done
    any "homework" on the round yet.
    I apprciate the link Bindernut
  6. Zane71464

I finally got to get the Savage .204 out and dialed it in with 40gr. Hornady V-max.
    I got it shooting 2" high at 100 and we set up a 3 quart water jug up out at 400yds.
    Was shooting off a sand bag laid out on the front rack of the 4 wheeler, kneeling.

The bullet drop was 3-3.5 inches with the 40gr V-max rounds. There was zero wind and it was on. Also, it was keeping 1/4 groups @ 100yds. We was messi'n for a place with some shade as it was over 100* the day I dialed it in.
    Hop for some cooler weather and some lighter bullet weights to try out.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I think I saw a partial box of 32 grain bullets while I was doing some reloading yesterday. If you will PM your address to me, I will send them to you. I just saw the box, I did not open it so there may be 2 inside or there may be 90, I just don't know. When I look and there are only a couple, I may opt not to send them, but will let you know!!

EDIT: I just walked out to my reloading building to get the bullets, it would be worth my while to mail them. They are Hornady 32 Grain V-max bullets, and it was a box of 250, but there are probably only about 200 left in the box.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  8. Zane71464

I thank you George and PM sent.....