1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

20Gauge shotgun slug

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gerard488, Nov 4, 2011.

1. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Can anyone tell me the actual diameter of a 20 gauge slug and also the the inside diameter at the muzzle of a 20 gauge with a full choke?
    I have a H&R 24 gauge that was drilled/resized at the breech about 60 years ago to fire a 20 gauge shell.It has a 24 inch barrel so I guess that was cut back to eliminate the full choke. This gun has seen lots of use and it`s a deadly little rabbit gun. It has a little extra kick because of the smaller barrel. It measures .567 inches internal diameter at the muzzle, I`m just wondering if there is a slug I could use in it.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    .615 is the nominal size but it varies among manufacturers. If it's a Foster or Brenneke rifled slug don't worry about it, the only choke you have to worry about is super full choke, ie. turkey choke. If it's a little over size it will swage down harmlessly in your choke and if its a little undersize the full choke will help you shoot it more accurately. I have one on my desk in front of me and it only measures .610. I don't think my gun notices the difference.