The Firearms Forum banner

22-250 for deer hunting

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Cecilbo 
#1 ·
needing some replys on this , I have a couple friends who use this cal. to deer hunt while using a 22 cal. 40 grain moly coated ballistic tip . they promise that the deer will drop in its track regardless of deers size as long as it's a good hit.
I use either a 308 win. or 30-06 to deer hunt with and as the saying goes , if it ain't broke , don't fix it but I am just wanting some expertise help with this before I go and just injure the deer I shoot.

#3 · (Edited)
The 22-250 was once used quite a bit on the prairies. I 've used one from time to time with very good results.
However I have never heard of anyone ever using any thing lighter than a 55grain bullet (in 22-250) on deer or antlope.
Most of the people I once knew who used to use the 22-250 have graduated to the 243 or 25-06 due to the fact that more and more areas are requesting a 24 or larger cal. for deer hunting.

#4 ·
I have taken a lot of deer with a 22-250 and a 55 grain soft point bullet. The 55 grain bullet is smallest legal bullet you can use here. I personally like the 22-250 for deer and its been a good round for one shot one kill. The main thing is shot placement.

#6 ·
The hydrostatic shock from a 22 caliber bullet can be pretty devastating. When I started hunting I used a 222 with 55gr Winchester factory ammo. Then at some point switched to hornady, 50 or 55gr ballistic tip factory ammo. Those things turned the vital organs to jelly.
My 12 year old shot a pig with a 45gr federal vitalshok round. The bullet went through the shoulder and absolutely wrecked the vitals.
That said, I personally wouldn't use anything lighter than a 55gr bullet in the 22-250, especially if taking heart/lung shots. If you're hand loading for it, the Remington, Winchester, and hornady soft points should work fine. Not sure if I'd use a v-max but they seem harder than the soft points I mentioned. I would have to have someone with me for a back up shot if I used one. Hornady also makes a .224" GMX which may be ideal. The only bullet I would advise against it the combined technologies ballistic silver tip. Those things are extremely soft and I would worry about penetration with those.

#7 ·
needing some replys on this , I have a couple friends who use this cal. to deer hunt while using a 22 cal. 40 grain moly coated ballistic tip . they promise that the deer will drop in its track regardless of deers size as long as it's a good hit.
I use either a 308 win. or 30-06 to deer hunt with and as the saying goes , if it ain't broke , don't fix it but I am just wanting some expertise help with this before I go and just injure the deer I shoot.
I don't quite get a question here. Use your 30'06 or .308. Let your friends use their sub caliber if legal.

#8 ·
Howdy I am just going to say it your frinds are wrong.I don't know how big the deer are were they hunt. Out west here we find a buck or two that go 200+.You are not going to shot one of these deer and drop them in there tracks. Not with 22cal 44 grain ballistic tip. I love the22-250 in the forty years I have been shooting them I have have owned 5. Yes were legal they can take a deer or a antlope but I always thought them to be marginal on big deer. You hunt with 308 and a 3006 those are very good choices. Sound one shot deer killers you stick with them and you wont see your deer running over hill on3 legs.

#9 ·
My philosophy is that if anything can go wrong, it will. I suggest that you give your self a good margin for error. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean that you have to do it! My dad bought one, and the first deer he shot with it dropped in it's tracks, and he was bragging about that gun for two weeks. Then he shot at a doe. He said he could see the fragmented bullet pieces striking the hide of that deer, thru his scope. Seems he had hit some pine needles with the bullet before it got to the deer. He sold it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.