22-250 Reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Z-Man, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Z-Man

Z-Man New Member

I've been using factory ammo and now am starting to reload. My brother bought some winchester brass and 55 gr. FMJBT bullits. Any info as to powder and primers, grain wt. and such would be aprreciated. Not looking for speed but accuracy! Thanks!
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Get you a few reloading manuals. They are a must for reloading and should be the first thing you buy before even buying a press. They will have all of the proper information you request for reloading the .22-250. Might I recommend starting with Lymans 49th reloading handbook. read the first 120 pages before attempting to reload. ;)
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Read, read, and re-read before you even think about buying any reloading equipment. The first chapters in most reloading manuals explain how to reload safely. In the case of 22-250 and any other high pressure centerfire cartridge, you are dealing with pressures in the 50,000 psi range. Uncontrolled those pressures can be very dangerous.

I like the Hornady Reloading Manual because they not only explain the processes of reloading but they tell you how a cartridge works with very good illustrations. If you understand the why's then you will understand the processes much better.

Reloading is a safe endeavor if you do it correctly. Do it wrong and you may take a trip to hospital or the cemetery. Safety in reloading is paramount. Unless you get educated in reloading through reading (do not trust a buddy who may not be doing it safely!) you may make a mistake that will hurt you or the gun or both.

Sorry to be so morbid but do it right by getting educated for safety's sake.

LDBennett
  4. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Z

Been loading this cartridge for - oh my! - over three decades. Most rifles twist rates put you into the 52-55 gr. bullet weights to maximize accuracy. I've long used H380, a ball powder, but others in the same rate range ought to work just fine. I use standard CCI primers, but again almost any quality primer with sufficient bresiance will do.

I tend to keep my loads short of max velocity and get 5+ reloadings on them per my logs.
    I also do some serious case prep. I clean up the inside of the flash holes, then neck turn to get about .010" clearance in the chamber neck with the selected bullet, and trim brass to the specified dimension. Case length is checked every reload after I just lightly "bump" the shoulder when resizing. I also made several "chamber casts" with cerrosafe so know my rifle's chamber dimensions pretty accurately and can tailor my cases/loads to that one rifle.

Be safe, go slow and have fun !! >MW
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

What millwright is doing is advanced reloading. A beginner needs to stick to the book to start out with. After a few years of reloading the reloader can graduate to the excellent accuracy adding processes he suggests.

LDBennett
  6. davem

davem New Member

please do yourself a favor any buy a reloading manual or two and read. then when you have thought youve read enough read some more. youll thank your self and so will your wife/girlfriend etc. when you stay safe from your new hobby. reloading seems pretty simple but one little mistake can be catastrophic. reloading is fun and relaxing but takes focus to do it safely. while ive been teaching my son over the years i stress everytime that its not to be done with a bunch of buddies around when you cant put all of your concentration on what your doing.sorry to be long winded but better to be safe than sorry. read up and enjoy your new found past time.