.22-250 Resizing...Help Please!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by KyPharmer, Mar 6, 2012.

1. KyPharmer

KyPharmer New Member

Today I tried full length re-sizing some once-fired Remington .22-250 brass and the diameters of all of the case mouths are now too small (the case-length guage will not fit into the case mouths). I tried the case length guage in some re-sized .223 brass (to check the guage diameter) and it fit into the mouths just fine. The dies are Lee and I have had them for about 8 years. I have used them before on new brass and I don't remember having this problem. The de-capping rod seemed to be sticking out of the die more than other dies I have so I readjusted it and ran the brass through again but it didn't fix the problem....I can't think of any reason for this happening...Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks in advance...
  2. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

are you sure you have the right set of dies.
  3. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Case length gauge in the case mouth? I use a caliper that measures from the base to the rim, I've never seen one that goes in the case other than a pilot for a Lee trimmer. I'm sure that I just don't understand the situation.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did you over lube your brass before resizing and depriming? Too much lube can create problems.
  5. Shedhorn

Shedhorn New Member

Hi Kypharmer. What kind of case length gauge are you using? Are you saying the the case necks are too tight? I am trying to visualize the situation and having trouble making out the problem. Sorry, but more info is needed.
    There is suppose to be an expander ball on the decapping stem that when pulled back out of the case, it expands the neck to proper dimension. Could it be missing?
  6. 76Highboy

That is what I am wondering. It sounds like it may be.
  7. KyPharmer

KyPharmer New Member

Thanks for the quick replies!

ryan42: I double and triple checked the dies and the case length gauge to make sure they are correct for the caliber.

Frogtop: Yep, it is the pilot that screws into the Lee case trimmer and goes into the case and its tip protrudes through the primer hole and stops at the shell holder (which is usually chucked into a cordless drill) to allow the case to be trimmed to the correct length. Each caliber has its own "pilot" with a specific length for that cartridge and diameter for that caliber (ie .22 cal, .30 cal, ect). I think the official name is "Lee Case Length Gauge and Shell Holder". The problem is that this "pilot" will not fit into the case mouths of the newly re-sized .22-250 cases. Since the "pilot" is the same diameter (.22 cal) as the .223 I tried it in an empty .223 case and it fit into the .223 case with no problems (case mouth diameter same as .22-250). When I say the "pilot" won't fit I mean it really won't fit....I tried gently tapping it and there's no way it will fit in those cases. I think this can only mean that the case mouths of the .22-250 are too small after resizing.

76Highboy: I didn't think of that. I hand-rubbed the cases with Lee Lube. I lubed only the case bodies being careful not to get lube on the case shoulders or necks. I lubed the inside of the necks with the Lee Lube using a Q-tip. I have reloaded hundreds of rounds and I lubed these the same way I always have.

I just can't figure out what would make a case mouth too small after re-sizing....
  8. 76Highboy

Is the expanded ball on the decapping stem? I am just trying to think from my end without seeing it. Wish i could help. I would sleep on it and go at it with a clear head.
  9. KyPharmer

KyPharmer New Member

Thanks for the reply Shedhorn.....Yes the case necks are too tight. They are so tight that I don't even think I could seat a bullet. I didn't think of the expander ball. Could I unscrew the top of the die and remove the de-capping rod and see if it is missing?....Now that I think about it, there wasn't that last "drag" that you feel just as the case is getting ready to come out of the re-sizing die....
  10. KyPharmer

KyPharmer New Member

I don't really know if it is or not. I think I will take your advice and sleep on it tonight and try to take the die apart tommorrow and see if it is missing or defective. Thanks again and I will post what I find.
  11. Shedhorn

Shedhorn New Member

If you have a dial caliper, you can measure the pilot vs the case neck diam. but you could also measure the cases and see if they even need to be trimmed.
    Have you tried seating a bullet in a case (without primer or powder) just to see if a bullet will seat with normal pressure?
    I have sold many of these lee trimmers but have never used one myself.
  12. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Wow, that's a puzzler. I'm sorry but I can't visualize what could be causing this except the die has the wrong sizer ball in it. Having reloaded 22-250 before with this set of dies makes the problem tougher. Try measuring the diameter of the sizer ball from the die. If it is smaller than .224" that is obviously your problem. The next issue would be finding out how that could have happened.
  13. KyPharmer

KyPharmer New Member

Problem discovered and fixed!.....I couldn't wait until tommorrow so I just now took the die apart and swapped the decapping stem from my .223 resizing die and ran the cases back through and presto!....The case length gauge now slides in with no problems.....Digital caliper with dead batteries so no specs on the "faulty" decapping stem but it has to be off...Many thanks to all you guys for the help!
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

They're Lee dies so it has to be on there. The expander is just a taper on the Lee dies. The only way to remove it is to remove the entire de-capping stem.
  15. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Whoot, congratulations