22-250 ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by tim peterson, Feb 25, 2010.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

My buddy hand loads 22-250 ammo for both of us. He is shooting a H-R handy rifle, and Im shooting a remington 700. Problem is the rounds that load in my gun well not load in his. Same dies, brass, bullets and press and they still dont load. We have tried resizing, triming, and every thing else we could think of. All of his equipment is RCBS and works great on all are other reloading. If any one has a similar problem or idea or info we would like to hear it. Thanx !
  2. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Thats wierd, maybe he needs a set of small based dies? Hopefully someone else will chime in that has a handi-rifle and let us know
  3. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

You are full length sizeing them each time right ? And if you are it sounds like the die is not turned in enough to do the job. You have two different size chambers And they need to be full length size each time. So they can be used in eather gun.
  4. Bushrider69

Bushrider69 New Member

Florida,Colorado ,Arizona ,New Jersey. Tampa Bay
    I have same problem I have 22-250 Mossberg model 800 M and things was ok i was shutin 300 Y in 1,2 in.sold the rifle and 10 years lather i buy Remington model 700 BDL varmit special 22-250 and the ammo dont fit .like to find out whay ?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would bet the chambers are different. small base dies will fix it. the .22-250 is a 250-3000 savage necked to .224. a very high pressure round. so an out of spec chamber, or even 2 chambers within spec at opposite ends of the spec tolerance will not fit each other properly.

2 remedies for the problem...

Get small base dies and fully resize and trim each reloading to ensure ammo interchangeability OR... clearly mark the ammo for each gun and keep separate.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Or...since you've no longer got the first rifle that the rounds were initially reloaded for...
    Just tear down that ammo & salvage the components.
    If you fully full-length resize the brass (die touching the shellholder), I would bet that the brass will fit the chamber in your new rifle unless it is on the tight end of the tolerance window. It may chamber hard the first time but it will probably be fine once fire-formed to your new rig's chamber.
  7. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Makes sense. The break-action of the H&R isn't as strong as the bolt-action of the Remington so the Rem's chamber may be minimal spec while the H&R's chamber may be maximun spec for pressure reasons.

And, as already stated, if the dies are set up for neck-sizing rounds for the H&R, it won't fit the chamber of the 700. Set the dies to full-length resize the brass.
  8. old jeff

old jeff New Member

IMO, Bindernut has correctly identified the necessary correction.

Remember that the cartridge headspaces on the shoulder. If the shoulder is not set back far enough by the die, you will not be able to fully chamber and close the action. Also, if the empty case is too long you may have a problem closing the action too.

Factory produced rifles and tight chambers are mutually exclusive.