.22/6mm

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by garirepp, Jul 9, 2012.

1. garirepp

garirepp New Member

I'm looking for a manual with spec's for the .22/6mm ackley improved and also looking for loading idea's
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Your previous thread from a little while back...even though it didn't get much traffic...
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=109468

The .22/6mm has popped up here on TFF in a few threads over the past few years. I don't remember any other guys that had one besides myself and a couple other guys. Not sure if they were Ackley Imps or not. Mine wasn't the Ackley version, it was a 30° Imp version.
    I don't have my reloading journals from when I had that rifle but I was roughly 10% over Hornady's non-Improved .22/6mm max loads...if my memory isn't too rusty.
    50gr or 55gr bullets is what I was using. IMR4064 and IMR4350 or H4350 were my powders of choice, mainly because I kept those on hand for other cartridges and they worked fine.

I've never come across any data specifically for the .22/6mm Improveds...just plain .22/6mm data is hard enough to come by.
    But...like any of the other Ackley Improved cartridges, you can use data for the parent cartridge as the starting point and work up from there. It requires a bit more diligence than a "factory" cartridge but it's not really all that difficult once you're familiar with the process. I definitely wouldn't pick a wildcat cartridge if I was a beginning reloader...heck, I'm still a bit twitchy about working "off the charts" with about 20 years loading experience under my belt. :)

I don't know if Frank Barnes' "Cartridges of the World" has anything relating to the .22/6mmAI. Haven't had a copy of it for a few years now.
    P.O. Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" series is a must-have for your shelf too even though there is nothing on the .22/6mmAI since it wasn't one of his "babies". It was developed later on by ??????? in Ackley fashion (straight-walled with a 40° shoulder).
    Fred Zeglin's "Wildcat Cartridges, Reloader's Handbook of Wildcat Cartridge Design" is another good read.

Do you already have the rifle or are you looking to build one?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012