.22 a killer?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ineedsoap16, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

It is not my defense load of choice but I have spoken with many farmers who keep a .22 just for killing hogs. The say it is the best for such an endeavor. I know that pigs have very dense skulls so this doen't make sense. Is the .22that good a round at penetration at close distances? I am not a farmer nor have I ever killed a hog but any input would be interesting.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Why would you think a .22 isn't a killer? I grew up on a farm, we used a .22 rifle with 22 Shorts to kill hogs, cattle What ever. Using .22 Long Rifles I picked off 4 of a pack of dogs that were running our sheep. Each one was dead when it hit the ground. Hit in the right place a .22 will kill a man just as fast. Well, let me change that, if you shoot a man in the heart, it will take him 20 to 25 seconds to realize he's dead ( but that's true also wilth a 38 or 9MM ).:eek: Believe me, regardless of what the Internet warriors post, a .22 is not a pellet gun.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

We used them to kill cattle and hogs as well, they are just a good all around gun to have handy.
  4. Win73

Win73 New Member

I believe the statistics are that more people are killed by .22's than any other caliber.

Shot placement is even more important with a .22 than a major caliber but if you are shot in the right place with a .22, you are likely going to die.
  5. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

Shoot your hog behind the ear.
  6. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I don't know how true it is but I heard that a .22 will do more damage than a larger caliber. The reason is because the .22 would ricochet inside the body tearing up more organs and internal tissue.
  7. topper

topper New Member

i have killed deer with a .22 rimfire when they were eating my garden. .22 rimfire, IMO, is just as deadly and dangerous as any other larger, more powerful cartridge. it all depends where the shot is placed. head, neck and they go down fast. gut shot and they slowly bleed out. wild stray dogs are the most prevalent here, they like to harrass the cows and therefore fair game. sometimes coyotes, but getting less and less because of all the building going on now.

Keep the chamber loaded!
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I personally know of two people that were killed with a .22. One was a cousin, and the other was a man I worked with. It can, and does kill. The .22 is cheap, readily available, and will get the job done. That's why so many are killed with this small caliber round.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Soap,

I would never hunt wild, Texas hogs, with a .22 but we do trap quite a few of them, sometimes they will pack 4 or 5 hogs in a tiny trap before tripping it, so the .22 is the best caliber for putting them down to ensure that no meat is lost due to over penetration which would either ruin the meat of the hog you just laid down, or end up hitting another one.

I've seen some mighty mean boars who will ram into to side of the trap as I walk in closer, grunting and squealing, making ya a bit uncomfortable while waiting for him to get into position. In my experience the best shot placement is just above the eyes, if you know where the brain is and what angle it helps a lot (I'll take a pic)... I've seen 500 LB boars slam into the ground under their own weight and the only movement left is muscle reflexes in his back legs after being shot with my little girls Whalter P22.

.22LR is no play thing!

Attached Files:

10. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Ohhh, thats a purdy skull Donny.
    Nice bits of enamel on that one.

On the .22 question i couldn't add any more then
    then whats already been said
  11. oldogy

oldogy New Member

I have my granddad's old Stevens 22 that has killed many a hog and steer.
    oldogy
  12. wingspar

wingspar Member

Just joined this forum, and the last thing I thought I would see mentioned was an Old Stevens 22. My father gave me one when I was 5, tho I wasn’t allowed to keep it in my room till I was 14. That was in the early 1950's. That was the most accurate gun I’ve ever shot, course, my hand was a lot steadier in those days. Still have it, tho it’s been a few years since I’ve shot it. Can’t even find .22 shells at all right now.

As for killing power, I would Not want to be shot with one, and wasn’t that idiot that shot Reagan using a .22? Reagan didn’t even know he had been shot for a while, but the bullet penetrated in the right place, and he almost died from it. .22's are not toys.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks, Thomas...

:)
  14. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Yes, it's a killer. TJ
  15. shootstr8er

shootstr8er New Member

cent fl.the mouse is 30 miles north.and tampa 60 m
    only if the bullit hits bone at an angle to induce change of course.. it will tumble at lower speeds. i know because ive been shot with a .22 lr.