.22 ammo "review" (mostly CCI)

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

wsmc667
    (10/26/02 2:07:38 am)
    Reply .22 ammo "review" (mostly CCI)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    well, i've been listening to some friends and just feeding a bunch of rounds through my new ruger. enough that i loosened up the front sight and had to loc-tite and refasten it to the barrel! i guess i'm pretty close to 700 rounds through it now... so i'm trying to find a round that the gun likes the most.

about my "review" : the "my Grouping rating" is a subjective rating of 1 to 10, with the Federal Classic ammo as a "control" group to provide consistency among range visits. and my overall rating is totally subjective... it is a measure of my desire to buy more. the (hp) denotes hollow point.

anyhow, i'll add to my database as i can find and shoot more brands of ammo...

=) chris

CCI Blazer $11/500
    my Grouping rating: 8
    my Overall rating: 7
    my Comments: Slightly messy in bolt area (leaves "sand"), good round, seems consistent

CCI Std Velocity $5.39/100
    my Grouping rating: 7
    my Comments:

Federal Classic $13/500
    my Grouping rating: 6
    my Comments: Pretty messy in the bolt area, good round, but CCI Blazer a touch better

CCI Green Tag $11.79/100
    my Grouping rating: 8
    my Overall rating: 5
    my Comments: Small hole punches; low rating due to price

CCI Mini Mag $who cares
    my Grouping rating: 4
    my Overall rating: 2
    my Comments: Pretty wild strays

CCI Stinger (hp) 35gr $4.39/50
    my Grouping rating: 2
    my Overall rating: 2
    my Comments: Exceedingly wild strays; awesome report and muzzle flash though -- almost like a 22mag

CCI Velocitor (hp) $3.99/40
    my Grouping rating: 6
    my Overall rating: 0
    my Comments: Misfeeds as though bullets oversized; one fail to fire (out of 20 rds); punches crisp holes in target

flyer
    (10/26/02 9:13:15 am)
    Reply Blazers sure are good, Velocitors aren't
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glad to see your results. Funny how the cheap Blazers shoot so good and the much-hyped Velocitors don't.

Same results as I have had.

wsmc667
    (10/26/02 2:43:50 pm)
    Reply Re: Blazers sure are good, Velocitors aren't
    actually, the velocitors would be pretty good if they'd load. i'm wondering if they're too big or maybe the shape of the bullet nose is "just wrong" or if the edge of th hollow point caught on the feed ramp or something...?

i just ordered a box of every kind of .22LR from cheaperthandirt.com !!! that'll keep me busy for a while.

chris in sandy eggo, p.r.k.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/27/02 6:12:40 pm)
    Has the price of 22LR ammo gone up that much in the last few years? I have not paid more than $1 per 50 rds. except to try the unusual types (colibri) when they first came out. Maybe I ought to buy some in the next year or two before they are too expensive for me. Of course I don't really need them as I have between 15 and 20 thousand rds. at this time.

wsmc667
    (10/27/02 6:55:27 pm)
    hey jeeper, the cheap stuff is still cheap... it's when you get hot loads or target stuff that it gets bad.

fed "classic" and cci "blazer" are cheap and pretty good shootin. i was just doin like what a buddy said... buy a little of everything and try it all, as you won't know what they do until do try them.

=)

flyer
    (10/28/02 12:40:57 am)
    Reply Ammo Cost
    I think it partly depends on where you live and of course where you shop- I often see ammo prices that are a lot lower than my gun shop - I don't fire enough .22 to face the torture of Wally World, etc.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/28/02 1:02:35 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ammo Cost

Quote:
    I don't fire enough .22 to face the torture of Wally World, etc.

words of wisdom

That place is a torture isn't it.

Extremities
    (10/29/02 2:06:12 am)
    Reply re: ammo cost
    Am I missing something on the CCI Minimags? I've been shooting them almost exclusively for quite a while and been really happy with them.

My 10/22s favourite for price/accuracy is CCIs SGB. I haven't looked for them in a while cause I stocked WAY up on them after I conducted my own little test like yours, so I'm not sure what they go for now.

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/29/02 11:34:02 am)
    Reply Re: re: ammo cost
    hi Extremities,

hmmm, if i didn't say it, i should have clarified that i was shooting out of a mark ii pistol with 6-5/8" (i think) barrel. that might make a big difference...

anyhow, the mini mags would stray a bit. also... since yesterday was the wife's birthday, we went to the range so she could shoot her gun... and i finished off my box of mini mags. i got 3 separate misfeeds. same thing as the velocitors... the hollow point would trip going into the chamber and the bolt would try to jam the round home, but only go so far because the edge of the bullet was now deformed.

chris

Extremities
    (10/29/02 4:20:16 pm)
    Reply ammo sots
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've never had a misfire with the minimags in my 10/22, and found it odd that someone else was having lots.

NoBite
    (11/10/02 4:16:56 pm)
    Hi, Chris.

I think YMMV should be the motto when discussing the "best" ammo. So much depends on the particular gun. For instance, my Ruger MKII has no problem with Velocitors and really likes Remington Thunderbolts. Frankly, this pistol hasn't choked on much anything, but I get the best groups with Thunderbolts. Haven't tried everything out there yet, though.

OTOH, my new 10/22 during the break-in period is having no problem with Velocitors, Thunderbolts or Mini-Mags. But the cheap Federal copper-plated (Wally World 550-pack) have stovepiped or FTF at least 1 out of every 3. I think that may change as the rifle gets broken in, but for now I have better luck with higher velocity stuff.

Regards,

- NoBite
    Hickory, KY

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/11/02 5:03:53 am)
    hi NoBite,

welcome from one newbie to another!!

YMMV is definitely the case! i've got around 2000 rounds through the ruger now and finished of the 50 pack of velocitors. yeah, they shoot straight, but still trip on feeding.

fwiw, i also got in some CCI CB Long... damn things wouldn't load in my magazine! you get 5 in ok... then 6, and 7 and then 4 or 5 fall out all at once!! i was telling the guy at the range desk this ... just before a rimfire match was going to start. i said "who wants a box of 22 ammo?" and a competitor with a high standard tried it. same thing. ended up giving it to a range guy with a 10/22. later on, they said that the cases were too short.

i ended up buying "one of each" from www.cheaperthandirt.com. i mean... literally... a box of each of their ammo. the mark ii really, really likes match ammo. i've shot my best groups (from a rest) with stuff like CCI green tag, eley/remington match, and a couple other brands.

i've tried all the remington and winchester 22s. yeah, the thunderbolts work ok. pretty good bang, but the loads "sound" inconsistent. some really pop and others don't. i've got a stack of sheets for my database to evaluate someday. btw, the remington subsonics kinda suck. loud and kick the gun more than match ammo, with 2 fail to fires out of one box of 50.

still... CCI blazer and Fed Classic are awesome stuff, shooting almost as tight as the match stuff. another guy with the same markii that i've got shoots the wallyworld bricks. this past week, i shot my best "competition" bullseye. one hand, no rest, 25 yds: 80.

chris in sandy eggo, prk

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/11/02 9:03:30 am)
    Hi NoBite.....and welcome to TFF!

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/11/02 10:27:53 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: re: ammo cost
    HI -- NoBite! GREETINGS ~~ Glad yer HERE @ TFF>

Didja ever have a malfunction that scared ya half to death?
    Charlie D aka Different name

NOTE: Wonder what wud happen if
    you got scared half to death twice??

Shoot WINCHESTER -- No Problems.

Edited by: Different name at: 11/11/02 10:34:13 am

NoBite
    (11/13/02 8:48:27 pm)
    Reply Thanks for the Welcome!
    Howdy, fellers.

Thanks for the warm welcome. My Rugers and I will drop by and check y'all out from time to time.

Just received a package from Brownell's this evening. I'll be changing out the sights and hammer on my 10/22. Then, it's back to experimenting with different ammo. Hoping for no rain this weekend!

Take care,

NoBite

brassduck
    (11/13/02 11:09:58 pm)
    Reply Re: Thanks for the Welcome!
    I have two of the mark 2, one with a 4 X scope with either one I can keep 5 shots in a dime a 60 ft.(that's about all my eyes are good for)with wolf target ammo. It' a little higher than regular ammo but works well.

(note) my high standards don't like it

LED POYZEN
    (12/4/02 3:23:35 am)
    Reply Re: .22 ammo "review" (mostly CCI)
    I just got my account with ezboard cause I had to reply to some of you on the comments of velocitors vs other 22 rimfire ammo. I've messed with 22 long rifle ammo in my Dad's garage years ago (with a lesser degree of common sense) I would line up four one gallon plastic milk jugs of water and shoot them from a distance of say twelve foot or so, the first time I did this I didn't hide behind the big mudder tires that were stored there. I just laid flat on the concrete inline with whatever opposite reaction was going to take place and put a CCI penta point right in the biggest volume portion of the first jug BOOOOFFFFHHH!!!!!!!SPLASHHHH............OW SUNT OF A FEEETSH!!!!..I didn't take in to account how much power the 22 long rifle had and gained a great deal of respect from that first shot. If I had taken into consideration the four jugs of water to capture what was left of the bullet It would only figure what was about to happen, it felt like fragments of bullet hit my face but I was very relieved that it was only water traveling at an incredible rate of speed hence "don't try this at home" . I tried more experiments in the garage using various other bullets with me hidding behind the big mudder tires I tried Stingers, Yellow Jackets, Expidizers, Power Points, the various solids required an additional one inch piece of pine board as a back stop as they would go completly through the four jugs of water, the only thing recovered from the stingers and expidizers was the cup end of the bullet the rest of the bullet lay in fragments at the bottom of the first and second jug, the cup was recoverd in the third, the Yellow Jackets mushroomed all the way to the cup with little bullet loss. Of course this test being at close range reasonable longer ranges the dramatic effect would be less and when we throw bone into the equation of say small edible game we get another dramatic effect, but I don't care I fry it up anyway. Now the new VelocitoR I'm glad to see CCI doing it again can't wait till someone tops them or they top them selves again they worked great in my "plain jane" Ruger 10/22 except being glass bed. 50yrds I shot five ten shot groups the first two groups were almost identical eight out of ten could fit on a nickel the other groups spread as the incease in recoil was causing the scope to slip on the base and the rings this was a good sign of noticible power even though I didn't realize I was wasting good ammo for the remainder of the test. I then set the target at 100yrd fixed the scope sighted in at that distance shot twenty more on a new target most stayed within a four inch circle, Ok time for the jug test, three jugs in a row with used work gloves one in front and one intersecting the second and third jug I fired three fast rounds as I new the water was going to empty, all three hit the jugs first jug split bout four inches up the front and back and second split two inches and the third barely torn and barely exited I recovered all three bullets one was still uniform and the other two slightly mushed both gloves were penetrated. 250 rounds sor far starting from a clean gun no jams. If they make another great 22 ammo and dosen't cycle well in my Ruger and it cost more ill buy a single shot.....No Pun intended your right wally world is higher on their price for the stuff. I bought some from a local gun shop and he was cheaper then I bought some from wally world dammed that really frost my onions........

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/4/02 6:50:35 am)
    Reply Re: .22 ammo "review" (mostly CCI)
    Hello LED POYZEN, and welcome to The Firearms Forum.

We enjoy reading others experiences.
    However, a little scarey to say the least...

Obviously Fear is not a Factor for you!

Post as much and as often as you like, and by all means anywhere you like.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow
  2. Johnny Blackhawk

Johnny Blackhawk New Member

I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU GUYS ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE CCI VELOCITOR AMMO.......ONE of my .22's WITH 20" BARREL (Henry Goldenboy) ONE .22 WITH 19" BARREL (Marlin Model 60SB). I found that the CCI velocitor .22 copper plated hollow point, the best .22lr round available. It's all I shoot. It's not the cheapest ammo.....but if you want to shoot dime size groups at 50 yds and quarter sized groups at 100yds...then this is the ammo for you....40 grains at 1435fps. They have a snappy feel. My Henry Goldenboy shooting this ammo dropped a coyoyte at 80 yrds (head shot). My modle 60SB shoots the same at 50 yards....and about 1.5 inch groups at 100yds. Pick one brand of ammo that works well and shoot only that one ammo if you are a nut about accuracy as your rifle wears in it will chamber itself for the round you are constantly buying. People do not lightly oil your receiver.....USE REM-DRILUBE. IT IS TEFLON AND LEADS TOO A MUCH NICER ACTION, NO JAMMING.
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I'was going to ask where on God's green earth are you only paying $5.39 for a box of CCI Std.Vel's.......:eek:......since I was paying 7 bucks a box last year, and I'm now paying 8 bucks a box this year........

Then I saw that this thread was originally posted in 2003.......:eek:

Prices sure have gone up in the last 5 years.......:rolleyes:
  4. vietnam1947

vietnam1947 New Member

Thanks for all the info. I just went on line and ordered the last 14 1000 rd boxes of CCI Standard from Wholesalehunter, with shipping it ended up being 7.97 Box.
  5. Johnny Blackhawk

Johnny Blackhawk New Member

Where do you live that you pay such high prices? Here in Oregon, CCI .22 Velocitors cost $4.99 per 50 rounds. I was just informed by my local ammo dealer that they were going up to $5.50 a box next week....so I bought his last three bricks!
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Do you realize this post is SIX years old ???:eek:
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

If you are refering to me, I live in The People's Republic of New Jersey. This is a very gun unfriendly state, and because of the draconian gun laws here, everything firearm related costs an arm and a leg.....

Even junk ammo like Remington Cyclones cost 20 bucks a brick....:rolleyes: