.22 amunition

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mr.t7024, Jul 7, 2012.

1. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I used to shoot Remington sub-sonics, switched out to CCI Standard velocity,no difference in the report ,and they are less expensive .The CCI's are only 20 ft faster than the sub-sonics and are solid lead! BTW they eject out of my Marlin 60 very nicely!:) Cliff
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

CCi SV is one's all around (lot to lot) best value for the money, until one gets into serious competitive target shooting AND REACHES THE EXPERT LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY.

Another good inexpensive product for accuracy is Blazer loaded by the Federal division of ATK (Federal has dot matrix printed lot numbers, CCI uses smooth print) and Federal 36 grain "Value Pack" ammo.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I use to use Blasers 22 bulk ammo but in my guns I found it had too many failures to fire. Semi-auto 22's can be finicky about ammo and some just don't like Blasers. A better bet for me has been the Federal Champion Value Pak #745, 22LR Hi Vel bulk ammo.

For all my target 22LR pistol I use only CCI Std Vel ammo. It is the least expensive, most accurate, reliable, readily available ammo you can buy. It is the easiest on the guns, as well, being a Std Vel ammo.

For the absolute best accuracy, forgetting price and in general, the Wolf Match Target works absolutely the best in a lot of my guns. The still more expensive Wolf Match Extra is liked even more by some of my guns.

LDBennett
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

my EAA witness has the .22 LR kit and its like the CCI std's while the mini mag seem awful loud but feed ok , it dont like the cheapo winchester but the olin ( same factory here) is fine . meeeh
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

After sorting through a lot of the ammo out there I have settled pretty much on the same ammo as LD has. My 10/22 Target shows a definite preference for the Wolf Match Target. I also shoot the CCI std. vel. in the target pistols and the Marlin 60 when it gets out of the box. For fun plinking the Champion value pak 475 has worked well. There are several boxes of Remington ammo in the cabinet but I just never take it to the range any more because I have found much better performance else where.
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

RElative to post #5:

Wolf 22 ammo is some grade of Lapua from Shul Germany. The last 5000 round 10 brick case that I bought had a wolf sticker label partially covering the "Lapua" printed on the cardboard case box. "S-K" Jagd is also essentially the same ammo. The cartridge case headstamps are all the same.

I have heard a report, but cannot verify, that some RWS may now be comming from the same Shul ammo factory. All of this ammo is of excellent quality and usually a little better (TIGHTER GROUPING) than most lots CCI SV. HOWEVER, YOU PAY BIG (2X to 3X more) FOR A SMALL DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE THAT, MOSTLY, CAN ONLY BE OF ANY REAL VALUE TO A BETTER COMPETITIVE SHOOTER. Of course, one usually tries to win a match; and 200 x 0X beats 199 x 19X in almost any match. For better shooters, better ammo and equipment often equals better scores on average.

Relative to LDB's post #3, CCI and Federal now load and label each others products. The packages often look the same, but the products are not exactly the same, other than they meet SAAMI and usually CIP specs. I agree about Federal Labeled #745 (#750 @ WalMart) especially for accuracy if it is loaded by Federal (see post #2). The CCI loaded Federal #745 & #750 (2mm high letterpress print lot number with a letter in position 4) is a hotter product but still a very good product, especially for bowling pin shoots. As previously mentioned the Federal loaded Blazer 22's are tight grouping, while the CCI load is basically MIniMag without the copper plated bullet, which causes leading problems in some barrels. {Keep a bronze bore brush handy.}
  7. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I like it because it is just as quiet as the Sub-sonics and just as accurate if not more so!:) Cliff
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

CCI subsonic actually cycles well in my Rem 597 and shoots accurate. I've always been a fan of CCI and usually will use them for hunting. In my small bore days, winchester was usually the ammo of choice and of course, Eley. Remington .22 for some reason was always the worst and most innaccurate in everything. I usually shot Winchester though, my win52 target rifle would throw 'em all into the X ring and Eley was usually a bit out of my price range!

It's actually getting pretty hard to find SV .22 ammo, nobody target shoot anymore?
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i like mini mags for p22 and federal automatch for marlin 60
  10. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I buy a lot of CCI SV ammo. It's my better quality plinking ammo and I use it for small varmints. But I use CCI Blazer for cheap plinking even though it isn't sub-sonic and it's louder. It's also a lot cheaper so I buy it and shoot it in certain guns where it does fairly well actually. I have a Marlin 795 that likes it a lot.

Most of my rimfires like SV really well. But like others have said, Wolf is a step up in quality. But I still get fliers with it. I shoot Wolf MT. I should probably move up to ME because it will throw less fliers. It's the same ammo. It's just sorted better and the stuff that isn't the exact right size is culled.

The best shooting ammo I have is Eley Black EPS but it's only more accurate in certain guns. In some it isn't accurate at all. I have some Tenex but I only have one rifle that likes it and it doesn't do all that well with it. I guess I'll keep it until I find something that really takes advantage of it. It's crazy that ammo that expensive doesn't work well in most of my rimfires but there it is.

Still most of my shooting is done with CCI SV or Blazer. I've been finding the Blazer really cheap at times and I buy up a good bit when I do. I shot Federal ammo for years but it's never that good for me these days. It isn't what it was at least in my area. I think different ammo is sold under the same name in different areas. It's hard to keep up with what's working well. I don't think the bullet makers want you to settle in on one brand too long because they make more money when you have to buy several boxes of ammo to find what's working well. Sometimes capitalism doesn't work well for consumers. Usually it does but not always.
  11. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Most .22 LR rifles will have a brand and even lot of ammo that they shoot best with. This is especially true of Match grade rifles but can also be true of inexpensive rifles.

I was recently advised, by someone who should have known, that CCI Green Tag was still a Lot # of CCI SV that shot very well (grouped tightly) in their Remington 40X test rifle, fitted with a Hart barrel, at 100 yards in a underground tunnel. I then asked what happened to a really tight grouping Lot#, if the warehouse was full of unsold Green Tag, and they had open orders for SV. The answer was that it would be packaged and sold as SV.

It is my understanding that the above concept is basically true of ammo being made by Lapua in Shul Germany. Spending more money does not always buy you tighter grouping ammo.

I have also observed the following. Just about all rifles like Eley Tennex. I have have a "free floated" Romanian 1969 light training rifle that shoots surprisingly well with a wide variety of ammo; but does not like Federal 900B, which is often regarded as some of the most accurate .22 LR, ever produced.

If you are seriously into .22 LR accuracy, I suggest that you buy a brick and test it in your rifle. When you find an exceptionally tight grouping Lot #; go back and buy all of that Lot # that you can afford. Of course, I did this once with some Winchester. When I went back to the store, they had no more of that Lot #. Such is life.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012