22 at 500 yards

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by moosebox76, Nov 17, 2009.

1. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

just for the fun of it i was shooting 22lr at 500 yards was using a 4/8 sheet of plywood for a target i was surprisingly doing very well only a few misses. has anyone tried 500yards or even farther.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

moosebox76:

The hold over must have been tremendous! 22's are said to have an ultimate range of about one mile. That means a 45 degree angle to get out that far. For a range of about 500 yards I'd bet the gun would have to be at 20 to 30 degree to the horizon. I wonder if that is true? We have not tried 22's much beyond 100 yards as they are impossible to see the hits on steel targets at those extended ranges.

Our range has steel targets at 100, 200, 300, 350, 400, 600, and 800 yds. We never take paper target to that range but spend the time there shooting at steel targets. My son-in-law and I usually take military guns and it is unbelievable how accurate some of them are. We have sat right beside people with modern scoped rifles that can't hit steels at extended ranges while we are hitting them with open sights and old well used military guns. There's a lot more to shooting than expensive equipment. The shooter plays a bigger part in the equation than most would like to admit.

LDBennett
  3. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Many many years ago we would float a log or other downriver and shoot at it with a 22. Yeah, they do drop but with a little practice I could make hits at quite a distance. Yeah, I know there will be some who say that was dangerous but this was before the place was overrun with folks and the bullet would have gone into the mts beyond.
    oldogy
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

500 yards, that's pretty cool! I've never shot much past about 150 yards with a .22. Sound like fun though. What model of rifle and scope were you using?
  5. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

i was using a colt ar15 with a conversion kit and a bsa sweet 22 scope i shimmed the scope and cranked the elevation almost all the way. it was a lot of fun and the flight time was pretty cool it took forever for the round to hit the target.
  6. OBrien

OBrien New Member

I have shot clay pigeons at around 150 yards and that is fun. Hard to see with open sights but once you get your point of aim and figure everything else it's quite fun.
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have not tried that.

Did the bullets go through the plywood?
    If not, how far in did they go?
  8. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

most of the rounds bounced back. one end of the plywood was pretty wet and they went through
  9. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Bounced back? Wow, almost seems harmless at that distance. Not that I'm gonna test the theory by getting shot at one from that far.
  10. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

i bet it would hurt like hell. my luck it would hit me in the eye
  11. William Harper

William Harper New Member

Re: 22 at 500 yards- Dear Moosebox76:

Take a CZ Ultra Lux Super Exclusive and mount a Mendoza target air gun receiver sight on its 11mm scope rail (this could also work with a CZ Lux but you would have to sort it out), then elevate the sight until you can adjust the windage by the rifle's rear open sight. Try a few shots on paper at 300 meters to further adjust your windage. I use an 8" NRA Smallbore 100 yard target for this mark. Use Aguila Interceptor; three rounds should confirm your windage. Raise your elevation until it tops out then go back 3 or 4 clicks to hold it, then use the bracing screw to fix the sight firmly.
    Go to the front sight and lower it in its groove ca. 80%. Make sure your bore is clean and dry. Load with Aguila Interceptor (1470 fps) and take a 6:00 hold on your black at 500 meters. You should have some clean paper above and below your target sheet. Fire three shot groups. The first should be on or close. Adjust using the front sight in dovetail with fixing screw.
    Aguila Interceptor groups enlarge by fouling. Mine were 10 inches, 15 inches, and finally 19 inches centered on a 16 inch 200 yard black powder black. The bullets will penetrate any common backboard considerably. I did this to test an old friend's notion that a load like the Aguila Interceptor might be equivalent to the .40-70 or .44-77 medium range black powder target loads. His notion was right. Most of the work was coping with getting the elevation correct and finding out about the effects of the Aguila Interceptor's fouling. Windage I largely got from sighting in the factory sight at 300 meters using a 12:00 hold, then using this to center the peep sight.
    Fire only in quiet air for best results. As for 600 meters, use all the lowering of the front sight. Expect 12"-19" and penetration the length of the bullet plus 1/16th inch in railroad tie. Have fun Moosebox76!