The Firearms Forum banner

22 Barrel length

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Shrek 
#1 ·
What is the most accurate barrel length for a 22 rifle 16", 18" or 20"?

#2 ·
That's an unanswerable question.

Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length.

#4 ·
lonewolf204:

In most cases the longer the barrel the higher the velocity the bullet leaves the barrel. There is a point where the friction overcomes the gas force pushing the bullet out of the barrel. On centerfire cartridges that point is so long the gun would be unmanageable. On a 22LR it is in the 16 to 18 inch length. Barrels much longer will create lesser bullet velocities according to classic tests that have been performed over the years.

Longer barrels that are shot with open sights give better sighting accuracy because the distance between the front and rear sight is usually longer. Scoped guns gain nothing with a longer barrel in terms of sighting accuracy.

The common 16 and 18 inch 22LR barrels are the ones to use to be sure of getting all the velocity available out of 22LR.

Remember increased velocity is NOT increased accuracy.

LDBennett

#5 ·
Nicely put, LD. The longer sight radius of a long barrel versus a short one, when used with iron sights, allows YOU to be more accurate, but has no bearing whatsoever with the accuracy of the gun.

My choice, with a 22, just depends on "feel". A bolt action single-shot or clip-fed "feels better" with a longer barrel, while an automatic "feels better with a short one". A gun with a tube magazine "feels better" with a shorter barrel.

To ME. Might be different with you.

#9 ·
I've got an old Marlin 37 pump with a 24" barrel that manages to outperform many newer rifles with an 18" barrel...
Why is that??

A variety of reasons...including the slowdown that occurs from using a longer barrel...
that extra 6" turns some High Velo ammo into Standard Velo FPS by the time it leaves...
Standard Velo ammo doesn't have to cross the sound barrier twice...hence more precise.
Chronograph is your friend...

Then there's the whole Sight Distance benefit...
better minds than mine have written very wordy treatises on the subject...
suffice it to say that a longer sight distance is more forgiving...

Let us not forget ammo mating...(insert naughty joke here)
which is simply mating the firearm in question to the ammo that it performs best with ;)

And if you really want to put a spin on it, get a Paco Kelly Accurizer...
which mods the ammo with a special tool to emulate Match ammo measurements...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.