22 Black Powder ammo?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by radio_man, Jun 27, 2010.

1. radio_man

radio_man New Member

Hello everyone,

I recently picked up a Hopkins and Allen revolver (7 shot) that is supposed to fire 22 long and short Black Powder ammo.

I have been looking everywhere and can't find anyone who has any 22 black powder rounds for sale, any suggestions? I realize this ammo will probably be expensive since it's considered obsolete but I would REALLY like to try this vintage revolver out!

Thanks and Regards

Mike
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of anyone still making .22 Rim Fire BP ammo.
    I would suggest that if you have to shoot it, use CB caps, or, if you just want to shoot it a few times and the gun is tight and good condition, a few Standard Velocity .22 Shorts probably wouldn't hurt it.
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Shot shells would be the safest I would think. If ya just want to hear it go bang and smell some smoke.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    if fire arm is in good shape i think 22 cb caps longs or shorts should be fine,i caution against any other standard ammo.you may also find some colibri smmo that has no powder. do not try anything else old semperfi
  5. JamesV

JamesV New Member

could you pull the bullet from a standard 22 and reload with BP?
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

james in theory i reckon you could but you would remove the crimp from the casing and would need to recrimp somehow i would think
  7. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Crimping the case onto heeled bullets is typically done with a wire stripper, whose sharp-edged hole is dulled with a rattailed file.
    I do this when I reload .32 Long Colt ammo with heeled bullets.
    An inverted .17 Remington case could be used to flair the case mouth slightly, after removing the bullet. Add the black powder. Seat the bullet and crimp it into place with the wire stripper.
    Remember, the priming compound is in the rim of the cartridge, so carefully cushion the case's base while seating the bullet.
    It could be dangerous to make your own black powder .22 cartridges, since you're using black powder in a rimfire cartridge. Whether you wish to pursue this is entirely up to you. I'm just noting how it could be done; I make no claims to its safety.
    I load black powder in center fire cartridges, but have never tried it in rimfire cartridges.
    The decision to do so is entirely yours.