The Firearms Forum banner

22 Black Powder ammo?

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Gatofeo 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up a Hopkins and Allen revolver (7 shot) that is supposed to fire 22 long and short Black Powder ammo.

I have been looking everywhere and can't find anyone who has any 22 black powder rounds for sale, any suggestions? I realize this ammo will probably be expensive since it's considered obsolete but I would REALLY like to try this vintage revolver out!

Thanks and Regards

Mike

#2 ·
I haven't heard of anyone still making .22 Rim Fire BP ammo.
I would suggest that if you have to shoot it, use CB caps, or, if you just want to shoot it a few times and the gun is tight and good condition, a few Standard Velocity .22 Shorts probably wouldn't hurt it.

#6 ·
james in theory i reckon you could but you would remove the crimp from the casing and would need to recrimp somehow i would think

#7 ·
Crimping the case onto heeled bullets is typically done with a wire stripper, whose sharp-edged hole is dulled with a rattailed file.
I do this when I reload .32 Long Colt ammo with heeled bullets.
An inverted .17 Remington case could be used to flair the case mouth slightly, after removing the bullet. Add the black powder. Seat the bullet and crimp it into place with the wire stripper.
Remember, the priming compound is in the rim of the cartridge, so carefully cushion the case's base while seating the bullet.
It could be dangerous to make your own black powder .22 cartridges, since you're using black powder in a rimfire cartridge. Whether you wish to pursue this is entirely up to you. I'm just noting how it could be done; I make no claims to its safety.
I load black powder in center fire cartridges, but have never tried it in rimfire cartridges.
The decision to do so is entirely yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.