.22 Cal. Action Shoot

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/20/01 11:22:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .22 Cal. Action Shoot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sat. morning I have 10 kids ages 12-13 coming to shoot this match. All have had instruction on safe gun handling. The course of fire will be : run 10 yds. pick pistol up off table and fire 5 rounds at a steel plate. Put pistol down. Run 10 yds. pick up rifle, fire one round to break balloon and one round at 25 yd. target and one round at another balloon.Place rifle on table. run 5 yds. to another table pick up pistol and fire 10 shots at b-27 target at a distance of 30 feet. Best time and score wins. No lost points for misses. Only enough ammo loaded to complete each stage. Hamburgers and hot dogs for everyone after the match. Each kid must be bring a parent so there is plenty of adult supervision. The winner will receive a trophy. Anyone have an idea for a fun tie breaker ?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/20/01 11:27:22 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: .22 Cal. Action Shoot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How about a moving target for a tie breaker?

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/20/01 11:39:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .22 Cal. Action Shoot
    I thought about a swinging target, but I think it would be to hard for them to hit. I guess I could load 10 rounds and let the most hits win. What kind of moving target do you have in mind ?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/20/01 12:20:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    As you suggested, a swinging target or something like
    closest one to the X on the bull, 3 rounds each.

Tac

remingtongeo
    (4/20/01 1:23:40 pm)
    I used an egg for a tie breaker at 50 feet. It is kind of cool because the egg blows up good. Add a little kicker to it by tying it up so it swings in the wind.

Another one that is not as exciting is shooting a "V" target. The one who can get closest to the bottom of the "V" without touching the black wins.

Xracer
    (4/20/01 4:07:00 pm)
    Sounds like a wonderful event, Shooter......a great way to introduce kids to the shooting sports. Please let us know how it comes out.

Anybody remember Necco Wafers? They were round candy wafers somewhere between the size of nickle and a quarter, and about 1/16" thick. You could get roll of about 50 or 60 for a dime.

We'd take a 2 foot long 2X4 and make a straight cut with a saw. We'd put 10 or a dozen in there and shoot at 'em with .22s. They were very frangible......they'd just explode when ya hit 'em.

Cheap, biodegradable, and fun!

Edited by: Xracer at: 4/20/01 5:11:29 pm

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/20/01 5:44:54 pm)
    Thanks. The tie breaker, if needed, will be a swinging target, then an egg at 30 ft. , then a clay target at 35 ft.( Can't find the waffers on short notice)I think they will all enjoy that.

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/22/01 7:40:25 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Dang Shooter, it sure sounds like you have a great time planned for the kids. Have big fun, and stay safe. Be sure to let us all know how it goes. Why not post some pics for us too!
    Good luck ya'll

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/22/01 8:24:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .22 Cal. Action Shoot / It's over
    I had 12 kids attend the match. A great time was had by all. The stages ran smoothly . The kids were well behaved and shot pretty well, considering none of them had ever shot under stress. A few had a lot of misses but no big deal to them. The winner, a 12 year girl, only won by a couple of points. The most important thing is that they had fun. I had 3 single Moms bring their kids and 2 of them didn't like guns. After the match, I offered to let them shoot the tie breaker. All three accepted so, after some instruction, they fired the course. Seems now they like guns. They wanted to know when they can do this again. I think the kids converted those Moms. I'm going to talk to the local gun club about taking over this match. It could be good for them, the kids, and the parents. They could even have a summer shooting camp and charge money. If not, I'll put on another match in June. I'll even let my kids shoot the next one. They hung targets, blew up the ballons, and helped with the food. Then cleaned up my range when everything was over. I'm very proud of my kids. Shooter

Xracer
    (4/22/01 9:02:59 am)
    Wunnerful, wunnerful, wunnerful! Sounds like everybody had a great time!

You're to be congratulated for putting this thing on.....here's a dozen kids (and a few Moms) that won't be marching on Washington with Rosie!

Great job, Shooter!!!!

Zigzag2
    (4/22/01 9:58:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: .22 Cal. Action Shoot / It's over
    ZACKLY what Xracer saz... I think I can speak or type for all of us here, We're proud of you and what you've done!

TallTLynn
    (4/22/01 10:01:46 am)
    XRacer, ZigZag - my sentiments exactly.

We need more people like shooter.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/22/01 5:31:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Thumbs up to you shooter, you are an asset to us all!

Tac

monstertigger
    (5/11/01 11:44:24 am)
    Cool! cool! cool!

My hats off to ya.
    What a marvellous way of helping the community. And teaching kids that guns are a tool and a good form of wholesome fun, and not a weapon to kill each other with.

I wish more people were like you, I going to try and get involved in a club and do this kind of thing also.

Just think, if we could change the mindset about the gun, and the knife and the match, and teach respect and safety.

Wow...

Alphamale
    (5/11/01 11:52:25 am)
    Welcome aboard Monster
    Remember: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just fun!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/11/01 6:00:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    WELCOME MONSTERTIGER!

Devin and his Ruger
    (1/12/03 6:16:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del A cool idea for your next tie breaker
    One thing that we have done as adults is set up three 3" cut pieces of a 2x4 set those up and then make a T out of the remaining without attaching to top of the T. Put strings hanging down with water balloons hanging on each side. The first one to finish will make the T fall off on the opponents side. That's it. Have fun!!