22 cal Derringer two shot over under

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by charttable, Apr 18, 2010.

1. charttable

charttable New Member

I'm trying to identify this Derringer. The barrels swivel up. On top of the barrel is stamped "Derringer Corp."
    The side of the top barrel also is stamped Cal .22 S, L, LR
    The bottom of the barrel is stamped 19496 as is the handpiece on the left side behind the trigger.
    Germany is stamped under the barrel and on the right side of the trigger guard.
    After removing the grips, I found a symbol in the shape of a football with >R< stamped on the lower left side of the handle.
    Any help on this please?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

This information you might already know, made prior to 1968 ( importation of these type firearms stopped then ) Loose copy of the Remington Derringer., Made by the boat load by about 4 to 5 different makers from the mid 1950's to 1968. Reck, Rohm. Schmidt and two or tree more German makers whose names escapes me at the present. Eagle over an N is the normal West German Proof, football over an R??, don't know. Sometimes the maker of these small guns will add a monogram in a inconspicuous place, such as a circle R or a circle HS or W., other that than I can only tell you that these unmarked derringers were very inexpensive imported guns.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If there is no importer's name and address, the gun was likely imported before 1968, and was among the many tons of inexpensive guns being imported from Germany in that period. Most of the importers of that time are long out of business, and the actual makers were mostly unknown to anyone but the importer.

While those derringers, like the saturday night specials imported at the same time, might function, they are poorly made of low quality materials and have little value.

They are not often found on sale because dealers cannot offer a warranty and no parts are available. When they do turn up, the price usually is in the $50-75 range.

Jim