.22 cal derringer..whats it worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by silmril, Oct 12, 2009.

1. silmril

silmril New Member

This might not be the right place to post so excuse me if I am mistaken.
    I have a .22 short single shot derringer..the only markings are as followes..

on left side "22 cal short
    BUTLER ASSOC. INC
    N.H. CT.U.S.A."

then below that is serial number 16063

see attached pictures
    any help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

A little background, Colt contracted with Butler to produce the "Model 4 " derringer between 1959 and 1963. Most were sold in different type of " sets" , His and Hers so to speak. Soft metal , a zinc alloy of some type, they did not even have barrel liners and after a few shots the rifling was gone. Of course they were never actually made for nor meant to be shot, but they were. After Colt dropped the line Butler produced them under their own name for several years. At least Butler used a steel lining in the barrel. The only way these little guns have any value at all is in the box unfired. Once out of the box, 50 to 60 dollars in good condition.
  3. silmril

silmril New Member

why thank you very much for your quick response. I could not even google Butler firearms i got no hits on it..so can u tell me if this one has a barrel liner or not or how i coiuld tell? or if this one was produced under Colts contract with Butler or afterwards?
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If it has Butler's name on it was made after the Colt contract. Look at the barrel end. If you see a thin inter ring or a thin line running around the inter diameter of the muzzle then it has a liner.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

A magnet placed at the muzzle will also tell you if there is a steel liner.