1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

22 caliber ammo question?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Zane71464, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have an old 22 rifle that shoots S-L-LR.
    I have never shot shorts but I was digging thru some old shells and found an odd one I have never seen and was wondering if someone can tell me what it is..it's a short brass but long lead. I have the picture below and it's the one in the center.

Zane

Attached Files:

2. rbking

rbking New Member

It's modern stuff made in Mexico. 60 grain bullet. They call it "Super Sniper," or some such marketing nonsense. It's safe enough to shoot but because of the long heavy bullet not particularity accurate in guns with normal slow twist rifling.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

It's made by Aguila and is called the "Sub Sonic Sniper" (SSS) round. What rb posted about the weight (60 gr) and twist rate is correct and the muzzle velocity from an 18" barrel is factory claimed at 900 fps. Because of weight, bullet carries more momentum at 100 yards than typical 40 gr. .22 bullet. Needs a faster twist rate to provide reliable stability. I've fired some from revolvers, semi-auto rifle and bolt action rifle. Best performance was from the bolt action rifle.
  4. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

5. Zane71464

Ah okay, that explains the "A" stamped on the bullet. Thats interesting and can it only be fired from a rifle marked .22 short? Or is it considered short or long? Or can it be fired from a long rifle? Sorry, just a bit confused on that. Ive never even shot any .22 other then LR.
  6. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

Any rifle which fires .22LR is fine. Your rifle marked S-L-LR is fine. They made the cartridge the same dimensions as a long rifle cartridge.
  7. Zane71464

Thank you john for clearing that up. Maybe I should have known that after shooting for years, but actually I did not.
  8. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I learned something new. I had no idea this round was around! Thank you.

BTW. I was instructed long ago that a steady diet of shorts in a .22 LR chamber will eventually score the chamber and make it hard to eject fired LR cases.
  9. langenc

langenc Member

I think its claim to fame is that it subsonic and very low bang for use in tight neighborhoods.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It shoots extremey well from my marlin 60. I like them...