22 cb caps

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by old semperfi, Jan 6, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    this maybe considered the wrong forum for what im gonna say,it is using cb caps for squirrel hunting.too often i have shot them using 22 long rifle and went thru them without knocking them out of the tree.i started using the cb caps because a neighbors dog went ape every time i fired.when hitting a head or body shot using cbs they knocked them completly out of tree.restricting shots to no more than 25 yards they are great.it would seam that almost all of the energy from the round is absorbed in the animal.the other neat thing is you can teach a beginner easier than a loud round and shoot closer to people. old semperfi
  2. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

The few squirells I'v shot with cb caps have went down immediately and only one was a head shot. I think you are right about the full energy being absorbed, if the bullet stops in the animal, it gets 100% of the energy which is a massive shock to the squirell. I stopped using them only because of the poor accuracy in my particular rifle past about 20 yards. I do almost excusively us winchester hollow point subsonics now due to extended range. I like the subsonics because they are quiet and almost always stop inside the squirell for 100% energy dump. You can hear a very loud THUMP! when the bullet hits the squirell. The thump is louder than the actual shot, which is a satisfying sound to me :D
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I agree completely. Keep in mind, they make them in shorts and longs.:D