.22 CB

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by topper, Aug 23, 2006.

1. topper

topper New Member

mebbe a dumb question, but here goes: what exactly is a .22 short CB bullet? does it make less noise than a regular 29 grain .22 short? also is the .22 CB commonly available? i just want to try some for target shooting, not serious hunting.
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Unsure what a .22 Short CB is, I remember a CB cap (or thats what we calle d them) a crimped short-very small, with a lead BB in the crimp. Might kill a fly if it sat still...............might and you`d have to be a couple of inches away too. LOL

LTS
  3. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

animal control officer told me they were low vol. and range they used to shot varmints in populated areas. he shot opossum out of tree in back yard thought he fired an air rifle
  5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

CB Longs are allso very quite in a rifle and are avalible at many of our local gun shops.They sound like you are shooting an air rifle.
  6. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

also the cb rounds are solid material, no jacket. Although sometimes you will see them with a hollow point
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

CCI CB Longs have less report than the Haenel Air Rifle I keep in the kitchen, for varmint work, in the back yard!
    They are not a new 'energy source', but will well anchor an 80# dog, at ten meters, bent on mischief, until the garbage truck arrives! (Don't ask)
    The original concept was a primer powered round; CCI adds a bit of powder, but, in a Win 52, not enough to wake the lightest of sleepers!
    For varmint chores, to 20 meters, a wish, come true!
    Different barrels have different tastes, of course; I'm lucky enough to have an old Stevens Rifle, and two bolt guns, that shoot the stuff really well, to 25 Yds ; some sight correction involved,all, in elevation, but a good shooter, in these three, 1/4" groups,@25 yds-no extrapolation is inferred, or implied!
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Cb's are quite as he!! but their are some shells called Colibri's that sound like a dry fire these shell usually won't work in a semi automatic
    They were designed for revolver's single shot's and bolt action's.
    Cb's come in long and shorts and are made by CCI so they are available.
    And the Colibri's are made by Aquilla and are a little bit more scarce.
  9. nevadany

nevadany New Member

i was shooting those aguilla Colibri's last friday at my buddies house. I love those things. they are pretty much usless, but fun to play with. I did read somewhere that they shouldn't be used in a new rifle barrel because of the tighter tolerances...the bullet might get stuck in the bore.

Don't know if there is any truth to that, but i choose to use my old Mossberg 46B when firing them.
  10. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

I'd like to try the colibri's, but as for the cb shorts I don't notice much diff than reg. shorts unless I'm useing bolt or slide action riffle. Maybe it's just these old ears.
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

I've used CCI CB longs with some success. I'm not fond of the wax that CCI uses to coat the bullet. It's a pain on hot summer days. In hot weather I prefer to shoot the CCI target shorts. They are not much louder than the CB longs and a whole lot cleaner.
  12. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Any issues with chamber cleanliness after shooting these? I'm picturing a good deal of fouling at the chamber mouth due to the shorter case. Haven't done it, so I don't know.
  13. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Chamber cleaning is no problem. A few passes with a copper wire brush and the chamber is spotless. Most times a Hoppe #9'd patch alone will do the job.
  14. 191145A1

191145A1 New Member

:D :D :D
    'garbage truck' - you're killing me! I do the same thing. Those guys would flip if they know how many animals they've hauled outta here. I use Aguila Super Colibri (20 gr at 500fps) in a Stevens 887 rifle with no problems. Shooting from inside the garage through the slightly-opened side door, nobody sees or hears anything. Squirrels, rabbits, crows and one day a 15 lb possum that keeled over after one shot. I have the Stevens zeroed at about 25' with the iron sights. I recently took it to the range, put the scope on and after some adjustments was punching out centers at 25 yards. The problem is you can't see the sights with the scope on. I could use my 1925 Colt .22 auto pistol for pest reduction around here, but in the pistol the Super Colibri does emit a small 'crack', although less noise than a cap gun.
    I like the Aguila SC so much I bought a brick of it along with several other kinds of .22, like their 'subsonic' 60 gr. This might be 'subsonic' but it's still loud. My favorite .22 right now for regular shooting is Remington 'Yellowjacket'.
  15. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The CCI .22 short CB and .22 long CB are the same load. The long version was developed to function (manually) from magazines, and to stop chamber fouling issues.
    Both are very QUIET from rifles, but not handguns.