.22 center fire

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jackman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Are there more than one choice of ammo for a Savage model 99 center fire .22? I have some old vintage rounds, but what about the .22 Hornet and the .22 Jet both center fire are they the same round as the Savage?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No. Most likely your Savage 99 in 22 Centerfire is going to be the 22/250. It might also be marked 22 Savage, which is another name for the 22/250. There are umpteen dozen 22 caliber centerfire rounds, and they are all different. That's why the many many names.

Take a look here. http://www.stevespages.com/page8d.htm

He lists 49 different 22 centerfires, ranging from the 218 Bee to the 228 Ackley Magnum. All different. And that's not all of them. Just some of the more common ones.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you want to shoot your rifle, take it to a gun smith, and find out just what it is, and what you should be shooting in it. Shouldn't cost much, maybe $10 - 20.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Neat link I will compare my shell casings (Remington UMC .22 HP)and see what matches...
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Your 99 could be chambered in 22 Savage High Power a some what obsolete coatridge based on I believe the 30/30 Winchester case. It drove a 70 gr. bullet at 2,800 or so, and in the day was considered quite the slayer of big game....if bullet placement was good. Definately not a 22/250, although the 250 part is to denote the parent case the 250 Savage necked down to 22 cal..

Happy new year!
    Kirk
  6. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Yes that's exactly what it is a "22 Savage High Power" (I should have made that part clearer) I had two boxes of ammo that my Uncle bought in the 80's they fired nice :cool:, this rifle is a pleasure to shoot the recoil is minimal yet its still a good long range target rifle , would be nice to go to the range with 100 or so rounds for plinking,,,,,,, we just ordered a Lee Classic reload kit and hope to get more brass and make the 22 Savage High Power a range regular......
  7. Jackman

Jackman New Member

8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

S&B - good stuff. If you reload you can make brass out of 30/30s.
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Another name to match for when shopping for ammo (especially european stuff) is 5.6x52R. This is just the metric designation of the cartridge.

Also keep in mind that the .22HP has a .227" bore diameter not .224"...
    The only major maker bullet out there in .227 that I know of is a 70gr SP from Hornady. They've still got data for it in their 7th Ed. manual.
    I know a couple guys that had tried to load 55gr .224" bullets in the .22HP. Accuracy wasn't very good and they probably had a hard time finding data for the lighter bullets (or maybe they "wildcatted" the 55gr loads too...it's been a few years).

And yes, you can form .22HP from .30-30 brass. It's actually based on the .25-35...which is in turn based on the .30-30...so at heart, they're the same family.
    You might need to watch the neck thickness if using .30-30. Necking the .30 cal neck down to .22 could make for a pretty thick neck. They might need to be turned down to get the cases within specs. If your rifle has a loose chamber, you might be fine without turning the necks but it would be best to get a chamber cast done to be sure.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Just checked back to tell of the bore dia. being .228 and Bindernut has it all down....

Hey just think about this round for a second...could it be alot like shooting heavy bullets in a fast twist 22 barrel as we are doing with todays AR 15? Humm....nearly what, 100 years ago? So new isn't quite so "new" after all is it....No wonder that back in the day the reports of it's introduction hailed it as being truely spectacular in perfromance. Anyone know if it were a Newton design like the 250/3000 was?

Regards, Kirk
  11. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, the .22HP was one of Charles Newton's developments.

As I have read, the 70gr soft point was chosen to make the rifle suitable as a dual-purpose rifle for both deer and lighter game like fox & coyote.
    The .227" Hornady is a fairly thick-jacketed bullet for a .22 centerfire and does seem to act much like a 100gr 6mm/.243 on coyotes. On hides that I've seen, it usually punches all the way through and doesn't leave much of an exit wound to sew up.
    The two .22HP owners I know locally haven't ever used em on deer...but that's what Newton's original idea was.