22 Conversion Kit for Rock Island 45?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 45nut, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Is there a kit that will work with my Rock Island armory 1911 45 that someone has tested?

Just curious.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I had a guy come in with a kimber kit on his RI. Didn't get into if he had to mod anything though. For the cost you can get a GSG 1911 .22. They are dang close to the real deal
  3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

It would be cheaper to buy a 1911 22lr clone like Helix said. The conversion kits run anywhere from 200 to 500 depending on maker. You can buy a GSG for around 225 that is ready to go.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I run a Marvel Unit No. 1 on my Rock Island frame that has extensive fire control changes, none of which was necessary to make the Marvel Unit work on the gun. Kimber and Ciener units may also work if the base gun is a 45ACP. It seems some of the ejectors for calibers other than 45ACP interfere with the slide operation on the non-Marvel Units.

Why would anyone choose a pot metal want-a-be 1911 22LR pistol over a superbly accurate conversion unit for their existing 1911.

Of all the conversion units on the market, the Marvel Unit No. 1 is at the top of the heap for accuracy because it is set up for target work, not tactical practice like all the other conversion units I am aware of. Even the Kimber conversion unit, a tactical practice unit, has an excellent reputation for accuracy, just no match to the Marvel unit No. 1. There are at least 6 or more possible conversion units that will fit a standard 45ACP 1911 like the Rock Island. In my opinion the Marvel Unit No. 1 (not the Unit No. 2... a tactical practice unit) is the best choice or was, at least, when I bought it some 5+ years ago.

LDBennett
  5. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

I have a Ciener on my Colt, bought it used for 160.00. Works Great.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess I just weird. When I want to shoot a 22 pistol, I grab my single 6 or my wifes walther. When I want to shoot my 1911, I shoot 45s. I have zero desire to shoot 22s from the 1911 platform. Told ya I was weird.
  7. LDBennett

Double D:

That's not weird but practical. No 1911 trigger is ever going to be as good as a S&W Model 41, a High Standard, or even a worked over Buckmark or Ruger MK or probably your Single Six dedicated 22LR pistols.

Some people get into the notion that if they have too many pistols with different features and feel, it effects their shooting skills. So they choose to use their familiar 1911 frame and a conversion unit for 22LR practice.

Years ago when all there was available was a ACE Conversion Unit the results were mixed and few ever bragged on their accuracy. Most all the tactical conversion unit today are worlds better than an Ace. The Marvel Unit No. 1 is an even better exception. It is a true competition oriented match unit and performs as such. It can easily be used for Bullseye competition with success. It shoots as well as most dedicated match guns (S&W, Hi Std, etc.) and often better. But it requires a better trigger than you get with most stock 1911's to get the most accuracy out of it. In the end with a good 1911 trigger job the Marvel Unit No. 1 can perform excellently.

LDBennett
  8. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

UH, Because it's FUN..........
  9. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I'm a freak when it comes to wear and i keep the orginal slide on my 1911's in 45acp thats it. I'm also doing a lube and wear test right now on three new 1911's. So i can spare one if i could for 22cal. The other 1911's in 22cal are very affordable right now but i'm not sure whats a good one or the better one?
    I been looking at the 22cal kit of my cz85 pistol too but again i hate to put to unmatched or infitted parts together. I have the ruger Mk's and some 22cal revolvers but i'd like to get a 1911 in 22cal too.

The purpose of practicing with the same size pistol, close to the weight and model is to get better with it accuracy wise. They did this with the police 22cal revolvers like S&W K frames and colt police target looked and felt like the 38'sw & 357's but there in 22lr. They would practice with the 22cal revolvers then go to there service revolver. With them it was a matter of practice today its a matter of shooting cheaper too.

Overall I think the ruger mk's in 22lr are hard to beat price wise, i found two of them used for $150 each. They only needed a good cleaning. Soon after the used gun prices went up sky high.

I want one for the new shooters in the family so they can shoot my 22's and not waste my 45acp's. Once they get more accurate with the 22's then we'll move them up to the big bores. My youngest son(30yo) did shoot clover leafs with my 1911/45acp already the very first time he shot it. He never liked guns so i never pushed him into shooting but over night he likes to shoot now its fun. My oldest son who can shoot everything i have loves the 22cal handguns now he says there fun to plink with. I broke him in with the 9mm's, 45acp's and the 44mags.He's a better shot than i am now.

I'm just not sure which 1911 in 22lr is the best one yet. I'm reading good and bad on most of them so i'm on the fence about getting one.

I really like the CZ kadet in 22lr but i'm not dropping $600 on one. It will take a lot of shooting the 22's to break even dollar wise.

If you want an expensive trigger job either pay big bucks or just lube it with moly on the sear. It will lessen the trigger pull by up to 50% right away and more as it works into the pores of the metal. The trigger will also smooth right out too. Trust me this works.

At first I found i had an accuracy problem in shooting handguns. I figured it out i was shooting too many handguns at the sametime at the range. I just couldn't focus on accuracy with all of them. Once i figured this out and just shot one i mastered it. My problem was i didn't shoot enough too so i tried to shoot them all in one range visit. I was in a hurry to shoot them all. I had to change my ways to get to know each handgun better. Bill
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  10. LDBennett

Bigbill:

Today unless you move into a $500+ 22 LR target gun you don't get much and most certainly don't get to the max possible accuracy that you are able to achieve. The most gun for the least money in a 22LR target pistol has to be the Buckmark. Only a few changes like a bit of trigger work make it very good indeed. While you can buy the least expensive models of Buckmark there is always something lost in the deal. I think it better to buy the top of the line one, do a modest trigger job, and start shooting to your expectations. Of course the Ruger MK's all steel versions are excellent too and allow many more modifications if that is your bag. But it is very hard to get a match level target 22LR gun for less than your self imposed $600 figure by the time you do the mods, if required.

I have the Kadet conversion unit for my CZ75B (40 cal version) and is built like a match gun in that the sights are affixed to the barrel which is affix to the frame solidly, as are the really good match target 22LR guns. Its accuracy is not up to the Marvel Unit No. 1, though.

Years ago when I took up shooting in my 40's, I struggled with accuracy regardless that I shot once a week at the local indoor range. First it was the eyes that were not focusing like they did in my twenties. An aperture clipped to my glasses fixed that. Then it was that once a week shooting was not enough. Recently divorced and with a junior high son living with me, the limited finances said most of the practice at the range had to be done with 22's. That helped but then I found precision air guns. I bought a RWS target air pistol and practiced every morning before going off to work. After a year my regular weekly range shooting score skyrocketed, both in 22LR and centerfire. So I believe it is practice that makes perfect and precision adult air guns count!

LDBennett
  11. coronel

coronel New Member

I got a Kimber conversion kit all i had to do was put mother's metal polish on the slide and rack it several times for it to break in. Now not one malfunction at all. The Kimber converion kit works with my 1911 taurus's , 1911 sig sauer's, rock islands, and armscorp high standard. I highly recommend the Kimber conversion kit.
  12. LDBennett

I would point out that if your 1911 is a caliber other than 45ACP or has a ramped barrel that you check with the manufacturer of your potential conversion unit before purchasing. Some 1911's that use a different ejector (like 10mm or 9mm) may not allow some conversion units to fit and work correctly due to interference with the slide. It never hurts to ask the manufacturer if his/her conversion unit will work with your exact brand and caliber 1911.

LDBennett