.22 Cricket lock

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by delta13soultaker, Feb 17, 2008.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

My daughter's .22 Cricket has the standard bolt lock...the little 5-6mm hard brass lug that acts as a stop when locked.

Well I lost the key and the lock got locked.

I'm thinking about taking a Dremel tool and just grinding that brass lug flush with the reciever. Fix it for good. (I can cut four picks from a soda can top to trip the little lock but it relocks very easy if it's fiddled with. I don't want to pick the lock every time though.)

I'm wondering, anyone else disable this lock feature on a Cricket? How it was done?

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. delta13soultaker

Here is a pic of the lug.

Attached Files:

3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Send it back and let them fix the problem.
  4. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I think you missed the point, Shooter. He lost the key. Their answer will be to send him a new key to lose. He just wants to disable the "feature" that they installed.
  5. Shooter45

Did I ? And as it's his daughters rifle he can do what he wants. I'd prefer a new key but there is a reason the lock keeps engaging and the maker would be able to fix the problem but what do I know. He asked for advice and I gave it. Sorry.
  6. delta13soultaker

Ya'll are both more right than you know on this in some ways...

For some reason this model has a lock that can be locked without the key by simply pushing upwards on the center of the keyhole. My clumsiness engaged the lock. I call it a silly design flaw.

The last time I recall seeing the key was before a townhouse I had last year burned...so I'm guessing the key is in a landfill with the gutted trash of that home.

This wasn't an issue for a long time obviously. I never lock guns...I lock them up yes but not lock internally like they're a car.

My answer is to neutralize the lock because it is unnecessary.
  7. Shooter45

Delta, I'd still give the maker a phone call and explain the problem to them as it may be a simple fix. Maybe better than grinding on a rifle as you probably already know, she will pass the rifle along to her child one day. JMHO.

Keep us posted on what you decide as it may be useful to someone else.
  8. delta13soultaker

You're right all the way. I'll check it out further before removing metal. Will be in touch about it. Thanks.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I simply removed the lock. It is held in place with a 9/16 SAE nut. I just took a deep well socket and took the nut off, and pitched the whole durn thing. Now, that does leave a large hole in the stock, but I fixed that by getting a stainless steel carriage bolt and running it up from the bottom. Held in place by a nut and washer, and cut short enough that it does not touch the action. Carriage bolts, as you probably know, are the ones with the domed head and the square locking area on the shank. Notice the head, just showing forward of the trigger guard.

[​IMG]
  10. delta13soultaker

Cool idea. Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like that gun lock.

11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Would not have minded it so much (that's a lie, a key lock on a gun is idiotic), but the spring in mine obviously came from a ball-point pen. With where they placed the lock, and it being spring locked, and with that weak a spring, just about every time you picked up the gun, you locked it.

Crickett says you can get it with or without the lock, but Wallyworld apparently does not know that. :(
  12. delta13soultaker

Yeah seems like I just touched it and the damn thing locked. I personally have no use for an internal gun lock either.
  13. delta13soultaker

I've been meaning to update this:

The replacement keys (2) cost $5. Part# KSA030C At website: http://www.crickett.com/TheStore/SpareParts/spareparts.html

If I understood right, that $5 covered shipping.

You can order from the above website for Keystone Sporting Arms, but I called instead and in about 2 minutes a respectful young lady processed the order. Phone 570.742.2777 There's also a toll free phone. 800.742.0455

It seemed ironic needing to order new keys to unlock a rifle from Keystone...but that's life.

Shooter45...thanks for talking me out of grinding the lock out of this rifle:)
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I also replaced the screw holding the stock on. Needing a special tool to remove a screw is almost as stupid as a key-lock on a gun. Had to buy the bit (which I will probably never use again), but replaced it with a stainless button-head machine screw.
  15. delta13soultaker

Yeah, I noticed that screw too...it reminds me of that little special wrench you need (recommended) to buy from Harley Davidson to take off an oil filter; Can't help but wonder about how much is true engineering or just a marketing tactic these days.
  16. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

both i and my wife have a crickett rifle... i have a black one with a scope... hers is pink with the iron sights. i personally dont like peep sights but i shot a group the size of a dime with them at 25 yards with her rifle so i decided to get one for myself and scope it... anyways. i disabled the lock in my rifle by first removing the stock.... then by cutting the brass bolt part off with my dremel tool, so that the lock when locked didnt interfere with the operation of the rifle.