.22 damage

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ineedsoap16, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

I know this has prolly been asked in the past, but...

What kinda damage does the .22 do the body. You hear all the time that somebody kills themself with a .22 pistol. I have .22 rifles, but DO not use for home defense. I have shot .22's for years and it does not near the damage you see from full size cartidges.

But seriously what is the damage a .22 rifle?
  2. jwmtx

jwmtx New Member

It all depends on where your hit. They can be just as deadly as any other gun, but the damage would be much less unless you hit a vital area, ie: brain-- heart. James
  3. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Based on my limited reading on the subject, a .22 LRHP to the back of the head is one of the favorite methods used by professionals. It's all about placement and in a defence situations a careful aim is usually not possible.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Not to be morbid or anything, but meat animals are generally shot once in the head with a .22 before slaughter. Large beef cattle will go down immediately--and some of them weigh 1,200#. A .22 will definitely damage.
  5. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Exactly. I've seen some mighty big hogs dispatched with a 22 short to the head. I can smell hot cracklins rendering just thinking about it.;)
  6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I quite agree. And those are .22 shorts. I have developed other threads on this topic. If you are being shot at, you won't "ask what's the caliber?" Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be hit ANYWHERE with a .22 LRHP. If a drug addled nutjob is heading down your hallway, and all you have is a .22, open up, aim for body mass, if he stops , a head shot. The .22 LRHP moves along pretty quick and can penetrate, and pass through an animal as thick as an arm at 100 yards. Think 10-15 yards. Ouch!! I quit, I'm leaving. Now, everyone knows that a .38, a 9mm, a .357, or a .45 would have even more power at that range, but the little .22 can be very effective. TJ
  7. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I was remembering an incident that occurred over 25 years ago. I was out on a farmers field, doing some varmint hunting with my 10/22 that had a banana clip of 25 rounds. I was out quite a ways, up a draw. All of a sudden I see my car driving at high speed down into the valley. At the wheel was some little punk of an ethnic variety. I'd never seen him before. He pulled a U-turn and parked the car so he could rummage through it. He was a good 150 yards from where I was crouched in the draw. I was P.O.'d, so I drew a bead on him over iron sights. I hadn't done that for almost twenty years, but it's amazing how large a target a human is, even at that range. Believe me when I say He Was Dead Meat. I had no doubt whatsoever that he was about to be killed dead. I suddenly hesitated. Should I really KILL this no gooder over a car? I then took aim on the car itself. Again, hesitation. Should I put holes in my own car? I opted for a much less lethal decision. I aimed at the front of the car and let loose a burst of ten to twelve rounds that came almost a fast as an auto burst. The dirt and grass in front of the car kicked up very convincingly. The little hood didn't know where it had come from, and didn't know it could have easily have been HIM instead of the dirt. He did a quick look, but never spotted me. He jammed the pedal to the floor and swished on out of range, jumped from the car, and ran off. When I got to the car, I found it intact with only my sunglasses gone. A small price to pay. Again, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that I could have chalked up a kill with that .22 at over a hundred and fifty yards. I also have no doubt that a .22 at a much shorter range is lethal. I'm glad I didn't kill the little buzzard, as he probably met a much similar fate later if he continued his evil ways. I didn't need to go to jail over this little turd. But, I could have ended his career of thievery right there and then. TJ
  8. fedupdon

fedupdon New Member

my wifes ex husband used a 22 to shoot hisself with he used to brag that a 22 was too sm to kill he shot his self at a school the para medics were called with in 4min of the shot he was dead before they got him loaded in the gurney he shot his self in the right side the bullet came out his left hip the me said the internal damage was so bad that even if he had made it to the hosiptal
  9. czoom

czoom New Member

Yeah I saw a butcher at my Grandmas house years ago. I am sure it was a .22 that was used to shoot the cow.
  10. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

I would imagine getting shot with a .22lr is similiar to getting stabbed with a really long, .22 diameter ice pick. Depending on what part of the body we're talking about, damage would be pretty darn severe and painful. Maybe not enough to automatically drop a person unless you're talking about a shot to the brain, but definitely enough to take notice. I certainly wouldn't want to be shot with it.
  11. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Let's remember that Pres Regan was shot with a 22 and was seriously injured. Granted that the putz that shot him was using frangible ammo there was still a bit of hydraulic shock with tissue damage and bleeding.
  12. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Well I know a 22 will keep the nighbors dog outta the yard.
  13. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Yeah i definitly get that. Kinda like when you move into a house new everybody sees you bringing firearms inside..just so they know... like when you go to the range and a neighbor sees you and smiles but has that kinda knowing look.
  14. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

When I got my 10/22 they were still handing out 30rnd clips a walmart. I put about 25 in the dogs direction and got him at least 10 times. I warned that yayhoo next door to keep is mut outta my pheasants but he just didnt listen.He knew what happened when he heard the barage, he moved about two months later, claimed it was a hostile enfironment.
  15. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Balls to him
  16. 38 special

38 special New Member

An awful lot of deer have been shot illegally at night with a spotlight and a 22. A 22 will kill you just as dead as a 44 magnum if you get hit in the right place. A friend of mine was shot through the upper arm with a 22. I was fishing and He and his friend went out in the woods with a 22 rifle. They came back a half hour or so and He was holding his shoulder there was a hole through his arm and it was bleeding pretty good.He claimed someone shot him while they were walking thru the woods. We drove him to the hospital and they patched him up Luckily the bullet passed thru without doing any serious damage but had He been hit in the head or stomach or chest He'd probably be dead or have permanent serious damage. I still wonder what really happened.
  17. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My Grandfather committed suicide with a .22 rifle about 35 years ago. Put the muzzle against his chest and pulled the trigger with his thumb. My mother came home and found him on the couch, rifle between his knees, thumb still in the trigger guard, not a drop of blood anywhere. The coroner said it killed him instantly.
  18. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I know a feller here who shot hiself in the hand while unjamming a Jennings 22. His hand is prettymuch useless now.
  19. fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar New Member

Wow...fun stories
  20. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

22 ain't no joke. The Isreal's ust them with suppressors in crowded areas. I remeber reading about it. It was also comfirmed when doing some cross training with them. They also say it works great for getting rid of dogs that would give their position away. They prefer the 10-22 for their work.

Ryan