.22 effectivness

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Col.Kilnk, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Col.Kilnk

Col.Kilnk New Member

Hey guys! im new to this forum but i have been around guns for most my life although i still dont know a lot about them even though i must have shot thousands of rounds

I am living by myself and i only have a rugar 10/22 at this point. would a .22 hollow point do enough damage to effectivly stop an attacker. or would i be better off just beating him with the rifle itsself ?
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

My nickel's worth....... best home defense weapon is the one you're most proficient and accurate with.

Unless the attacker has been shot at many times, he won't know if the weapon is a .22 or not. Even if he does, a .22 is better than nothing. A well placed .22 shot is very much more effective than a miss from a .45. A .22 round tends to bounce around inside the body more than a larger caliber, and has the chance to be pretty destructive. I was involved in responding to a defensive shooting where the homeowner took on three intruders with a .22 semi-auto rifle, and put all three of them in the hospital for over three weeks with multiple gunshot wounds.

edit..... I do agree that bigger is better..... if you're proficient with it. I carry a .45 daily, but I'm proficient with it too. I don't carry it just because it's bigger...
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

While that may be true, I wouldn't recommend a .22 as a first choice for self-defense. Any .22 firearm can be effective, but shot placement is critical. And in any defensive scenario, you'll be lucky to hit an attacker at all, much less nail him in the right spot to drop him. It's better than nothing, that's for sure, but I would suggest moving up to something with real "stopping power" (I know that's a controversial term and doesn't have much meaning, but you want something that has a lot of energy and will blow large holes in whoever you shoot).
  4. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

OK......... for big holes what do you think about a 12ga loaded with slugs or a Barrett 50BMG ?
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Listen to Jay. Keep your 10/22 and practice with it. Buy a bigger gun when you're able. Ten shots in 3 seconds from a 10/22 is all you'll ever need.
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I recognize that we all have a budget - and it changes all the time. For a while, the only carry weapon I had was a 22LR North American Arms tiny revolver. How was it as a "stress fire" accurate defensive arm? Crappy! However, that was not my idea of tactics - knowing the arm's limitations, I expected to use the gun as a contact weapon. If it came down to it, the plan was to jam the gun up the nose or in the eye socket of any assailant. Good idea? Probably not, but it beat wishful thinking. Trust me, as described, it would be very effective. Later, as funds became moe available, I moved up in caliber.

Bottom line, when it was all I had, I was comfortable with it and practiced tactics that maximized what it could do.

10/22 - you can keep them a way for a while with a couple of mags. Trust me, anyone who bad mouths the 22 probably won't let you take a few shots at them with your "underpowered" defensive arm....
  7. I doubt than anyone knowledgable about firearms would actually recommend the .22LR as a first choice self-defense caliber. Having said that, I think it is relevant to point out as well that its a damn sight better than nothing. It has always been my contention that the little .22LR should never be sold short (pardon the pun; I just couldn't resist :p ). The statistics show that the .22LR is somewhere around 25% effective as a one-shot stopper, which doesn't sound very promising unless one remembers that only a fool would fire only once if he or she had to fire at all. Multiple hits in the upper torso from high-velocity .22LR hollow points have a cumulative effect, not entirely dissimilar to the effect of multiple pellets from a shotgun. The key, of course, is achieving multiple hits in the first place and placing them on target quickly enough. That means practice with the weapon. If you're confined to using only a .22, take no prisoners! In other words, emptythe bloody magazine. If the target's still standing (highly unlikely!), run like hell.

While it's true that a rifle, except in some specialized circumstances like on a ranch or for military use, is usually a poor choice for self defense, the 10/22 does have its advantages. It is short, handy, provides almost no recoil, its extremely reliable, and you can empty a 10 round magazine as fast as you can squeeze the trigger. As a deterent, it's as good as anything. In a last ditch, "gotta shoot" scenerio, it will work, just not as easily or effectively as a handgun of reasonable caliber.

--Pistolenschutze
  8. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Do not forget you can allso buy 25rd and 30rd mags for the 10/22.I have 4 25rd and 4 30rd mags for mine and they all work great. It is a fun and reliable rifle.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

As a point of reference, the Mossad, Israel's "CIA", issued a Model 70S Beretta, a 22LR pistol the size of the Walther PP, with surpressor, as a basic weapon for 'clandestine diplomacy', for many years.
    One may debate as he wishes, over caliber, but more meat,and likely, men, has been taken with the 22LR, than any caliber you can name.
    My first seven deer were taken in that fashion, long before grandpa told me it was too small a rifle, and before I learned of 'game laws', and 'seasons'.
    My first choice, today? No. But, the Walther TPH is a constant, though not primary weapon, because it will go anywhere;
    Any weapon, available instantly, is a better choice than the one left at home.
    The 22LR seems to have two distinct wounding patterns; if the 'shootee' is well shot, he drops, almost immediately, from loss of CNS function. If not so well shot, he will almost always cease agression, flee the scene, and find either prompt medical assistance, of a place to lay up and wait on a slow, painful sepsis from wound infection/peritonitis, then die.
    Round of choice is a 40 gr solid, for penetration; a second consideration might be ammo from Quik-Shok, 36 gr, high velocity, pre-fragmented bullet.
    The crux of the argument is bullet placement; if one depends upon a tiny gun, the application must be absolutely correct.
    I'd personnally prefer a heavier caliber.
  10. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

My only con to a .22 rifle or handgun is when you shoot at a hard surface and the shell comes back at you so dont hit anything but the intruder
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  11. threegun

threegun New Member

You will likely never need more than that 10-22 however from a strickly cartridge/what causes stopping point of view the 22lr is the least effective in stopping a determined attacker. What causes the human body to stop when even when the owner of said body doesn't want to stop? Three things cause this. 1. A hit to the brain. 2. A hit to the upper spinal cord 3. The loss of blood pressure. The 22lr/25acp are the least likely to penetrate the skull, the least likely to hit the spine (smallest diameter and lack of penetration), and least likely to cause hydrolic failure (blood loss).

Just be prepared to fire multiple shots. After you run the gun dry then you have your bat.
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Threegun's answer is absolutely correct; Let me re-phrase it slightly.
    Turn off the computer (Brain Shot)
    Disconnect all the peripherals (High neck, spinal cord).
    Pull the Plug (Power loss, from Hydraulic failure)
    This is all to the point, but misses the question, entirely, I feel.
    A .22 LR will kill anything on earth, given the shot is well placed; having said that, I will add, you may get killed, before the critter falls, if placement is not perfect.
    The .22 LR is arguably the weakest round going, but will serve quite well, to discourage/end hostilities, well placed. The key word is placement, which says, "Practice". It's cheap, to buy, and to shoot, and if you will 'pay your dues' i.e., practice 'til the weapon is an extension of your finger, it is an option, on a budget.
    While it's much better than a sharp stick, any center fire round would be a better choice, for most of us. The bigger the better!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  13. threegun

threegun New Member

Stash, I try to discourage people from the mousegun calibers because shot placement is so critical. This is not to say that just because you have a big bore you can sacrific accuracy and shot placement........heck no. Being so crititical with any handgun round but almost impossible to stop someone with a 22/25 if not perfect. Remember hits are golden during a gun battle. They are very hard to achieve period much less a perfect hit between the nipples or in the eye, ect. Add to that a badguy who is giving you a side profile so that your round needs to break the arm bone, or a badguy wearing jacket and you can see the complications of mouse calibers. I won't even carry on as a backup. The 32/380 is minimum for me..
  14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Remember- we're talking about a rifle, here. The .22LR is not that bad from an 18" barrel, plus rifles are easy to shoot very accurately-much more so than a handgun. I think the little Ruger will do very well in this role.
    Bill
  15. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

I've seen a lot of people killed with a .22. I think a hit from a 22 beats a miss from a 44. I agree a person should carry as powerful of a weapon as they can safely and accurately handle. If all you have is a 22, use it.

As far as a 1 shot stop goes, if it's not a 20mm HE round or larger, I don't count on it.
  16. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Use what you have. For a .22 long rifle use Stingers from CCI.
  17. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bill, ThreeGun, I never said or meant to imply that the .22LR was optimal, only, that with proper shot placement, adequate.
    Given the opportunity to 'move up' in caliber, bullet weight, and energy, the choice is obvious.
    But, to go to the original question, a 10-22 with a full mag, and a practiced operator, would seem to be more than enough, if there were three or less "bad guys", on the scene!
    Personal choice of a home defense weapon is an Ithaca M-37, 18 1/2 ", cyl bore, in the laundry closet, stuffed full of #9 shells: It always works, and leaves a big signature, even up close and personal.
    As I was taught, years ago, at Camp McCall, "Adapt, improvise, and overcome"
  18. meandmy45s

meandmy45s New Member

Only Hershey's kisses and lying women would have you believe size doesn't matter. If you only have a .22 that is better than nothing and can be effective with well placed shots, but I wouldn't wager my life on it. Get a bigger caliber when you have the money and time to become proficient with it.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  19. Bernie109

Bernie109 Former Guest

Mine is a mini revolver in .22 mag. I would advie you get the aftermaket grips, it will add some accuracy to the weapon. I never actually had to use mine but one time, while I was on a motorcycle trip and was asleep next to my bike, I woke up to find some guy going through my pockets. That .22 mini mag apparently looked mighty big when it was pointed in his face!