22 Hornet Reload problems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Raven1, May 3, 2009.

1. Raven1

Raven1 New Member

I just got into reloading. I took what I reloaded, Hornady .223 45 grain #2220 with a lee #7 scoop. I also took a box of Winchester Super X 46 gr hp. The reloads were all over the place( large dinner plate) while the X's were right on target. Woodchuck paper target at 145 yds. Any suggestions.
  2. nightfighter

nightfighter New Member

A powder scoop will give you one set amount of powder. To achieve accuracy, you must "work up a load". Ask other hand loaders of the .22 Hornet what powder they use for accuracy. Then buy a powder scale. Taking a starting load from a hand loading manual, load at least five cases with the selected powder and another five with .2 more grains of the same powder, and another five cases with .2 more grains of powder until you run out of cases or, until you reach the maximum grains for that listed powder.
    Go to the range and shoot the starting load at a target, then the next load with .2 grains more powder at another target, and so on. At some point you should find a load that shoots well in your rifle.

My B-78 Browning low-wall likes Rem small rifle primers, W-W cases, 10.5 Hodgdon Lil'Gun powder, and Calhoun DHP 46 grain bullets. Note: there was a lot of different powders it did not like (not accurate).

Loading with a powder scoop gives you rounds that you can fire, but is not likely to give really good accuracy. The .22 Hornet has a reputation of being more difficult to develop good loads for than most other cartridges.
  3. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

I would also add that the most prevalent problem with reloading the 22 Hornet is attempting to get "just that little extra velocity" out of them.:confused::( Due to the small case capacity a small amount of powder change will cause major changes in Chamber Pressure. I can not advise caution enough. Personally for myself even when working on a load for my Remington 22-250 VSSF I move up a tenth of a grain vise two tenths at a time. When loading for my 338 Win. Mag. I went up two tenths at a time and sometimes even a half a grain at a time.Just depending on how the load was working out. I absolutely agree with the idea of purchasing an accurate scale. They are readily available on Ebay and other on line shopping places. Good luck in any event. Great little cartridge in my opinion. catfish
  4. nightfighter

nightfighter New Member

I agree about not pushing the Hornet. Some of the published starting and traditional loads were loosening my primer pockets. Along that same line of thinking, I cannot see why anyone would do the "K-Hornet" process on one. If I wanted more than the standard Hornet could deliver, I would go to the .223 or the like.
    I try to avoid warm loads in any of my rifles, prefering to go for accuracy instead of speed. However, once and awhile a gun will seem to want to shoot best with a warm load and then I will reluctantly stick with it...but that is pretty rare.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never owned or fired a .22 Hornet but I can surely agree on the fact about getting a powder scale. I also agree on the way to work up a load (with any caliber). I would also say to throw that little yellow dipper away! I know that some folks might disagree with me on that but it is just my 2 cents worth.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Raven1:

You might also want to use Hornet specific bullets, not those intended for 223 or 22-250. There are two diameter bullets for Hornets as well (.223 and .224). Any Hornet rifle or handgun (Thompson Contender) made in the last 50 years uses the .224 Hornet bullets.

22 Hornet ammo loaded and developed for a specific rifle can show very good to excellent accuracy. The exception to that in my experience was the Ruger single shot rifle (No.3 or No.1). They have a bedding problem with the hand guard that destroys accuracy. My bolt action CZ 527, on the other hand, is a really accurate gun with an excellent set trigger. Hornets are fun guns! Enjoy!

LDBennett