.22 long rifle cartridge through a .22 mag rifle????

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jstgsn, Jul 15, 2011.

1. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Can it be done? Should it be done? Has it been done?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

No, absolutely not.
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

If there are humans(I use the term loosely) involved, you can bet its been done. But DON'T!
  4. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Thank you for the quick responses. I did a little more research and found the actual specs on .22 long rifle and .22 mag. No it would not be wise to fire a .22 from a .22 mag rifle. Kinda like taking a car antennae that was sorta close in size to a .22 and putting it in and hammering on the case until it went off. (Wow! that worked! Where's my pinky finger? ouch ouch ouch ouch.)
    Sorry to waste cyber space.
    ferd
  5. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

The lead build up will be very bad at the throat of the chamber were it meets the barrel. The "free-bore space" is way too much. Then the residue from the 22lr case rim and the longer case rim of the 22wmr will have build up in this area too which can be even harder to clean out so the 22wmr can be used again. If we think about it this is why some 22lr revolvers come with an extra 22wmr cylinder too.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Bigbill, your post makes it sound like an inconvenience. The lead build up will be bad. The residue will be hard to clean.

It's not an inconvenience. It's a danger. It's like firing 308 in a 30/06. It can be done. But it's a BAD PLAN.

Guns come chambered for a specific round, for a reason. Just because you can make another one work does not mean you should.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Ok...

This question makes me ask again about the 'Judge'.

If ya can't shoot a .22 LR in a magnum chamber, how is it ok to shoot a .45 cartridge in a cylinder that's designed for a shot shell?
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Because the 22 mag chamber is bigger than a LR chamber. The .45/.410 chambers are the same. The .45 wont be the most accurate thing with the long jump but it's no hazzard.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You can shoot a 45 Colt in a chamber designed for a 410 shotshell for the same reason you can shoot a 38 special in a chamber designed for a 357 magnum. The only physical difference in the two is length.

The 22 magnum is not only longer than a 22 Long Rifle, but it is also bigger around.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

So much bigger around in fact, you can fit a fired .22LR case inside a fired .22WMR case..
  11. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Once I was shooting my Ruger Single Six and by mistake shot several 22lr in the 22mag cylinder.The fired cases split down the side.No damage but a rude awakening.
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Post removed, didn't want to upset anyone:)
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011