22 Long vs. Long Rifle in Savage 23A

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jwp1948, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jwp1948

jwp1948 New Member

I have an old Savage 23A that I love to shoot. I happens to have a Weaver 29S tube on it, by the way. Anyway, It's marked as being a "22 Long". Since I hardly know one end of a gun from the other, I'm wondering if I have been doing wrong by shooting 36 grain 22 Long Rifle ammo in it. Thanks, JP
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I would not do it. The only reason you are getting away with it is due to the lighter bullet giving you room to chamber it.

CCI sells .22 longs.

IPT
  3. jwp1948

jwp1948 New Member

Thanks IPT> Would you elaborate for me a little on what you mean by "lighter bullet giving you room to chamber it"? - just for my own education. Thanks again, JP
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The .22 Long "standard load" is basically the same 29gr bullet as used in the Short except in a longer case loaded for a velocity of roughly 1200fps.
    The .22LR "standard" is a 40gr bullet at somewhere around 1250fps.

The higher pressures of the LR cartridge might be too much for older firearms and cause damage or injury if things fail.

CCI still makes a couple different .22 Long loads. Specs available on their site...
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

That being said, I have used standard velocity .22LR ammo in .22 Long firearms...in small doses. This was before I knew that you could still get Long ammo, but when I do get the itch to shoot either of my two "antiques" I usually grab a box of Shorts instead.

The 23A is a good strong little rifle. I doubt you'll damage it since later models of it were marked .22LR, but better safe than sorry. (Gee, how well does that fit in with my above-mentioned youth ignorance one paragraph up? :eek: )
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Everything Bindernut offers is true, but there are a couple of omissions of information, here.
    A .22 long loads a 30 gr bullet, in a LR case, but the bullet likes a 20" rifling twist; the .22 LR, with a 40 gr bullet, a 16-16 1/2" twist, best.
    There is no way you can tear up that rifle, with any ammo, as it is hell for stout, but the .22LR ammo may lead the throat of the barrel, but you can't hurt the rifle.
    If you have the means, check the rifling twist rate; should it be 16", or close, a gentle touch with a good accuracy reamer, in the chamber, to extend the throat, and leade, could really make it a fun rifle, but if the riflng is slower than 18", I'd keep it clean, and leave it alone.
  6. delija

delija New Member

Hi all...
    I came across this thread sort of accidentally when using Google to try and find some info on the Savage 23a. (a rifle I've owned now for about 6 years or so).

Google brought me to this specific thread and after reading it (despite not finding the info I was looking for) I registered so I could add my .22 cents ...

The 23a is not chambered for .22 Long as stated, but for .22LR (long rifle) (if hand loaded through the breach it will do just fine with a .22 short or long as well. - Just as virtually all .22 (non magnum) firearms will do.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

stash247 is right on the money!:) CLIFF