22 LR cartidge head seperation

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by north tex, Jan 31, 2011.

1. north tex

north tex Member

Was shooting some Armscor Precision 36 grain HV HP ammo in my Ruger Mk II pistol. After about 50 rnds I had a flat sounding round. Checked the chamber and saw that the cartridge had blown out around the rim. Extracted it and checked the barrel, all was fine. Picked up some of the casings from the ground and found several that were deformed around the rim. I switched to some Winchester and Remington rounds and they performed fine and looked normal after being fired.
    I emailed the manufacturer and the retailer but as of now no response.
    My question is has anyone else had this kind of problem with the Armscor ammo? And what is the best course to pursue to get the problem checked out ? I'm afraid to use the remaining 450 rnds.

ps: I searched this forum and found nothing that fit the situation.

Thanks
  2. north tex

north tex Member

I've now heard from both the ammo manufacturer and their US rep. They asked for the lot number and then replied to get my address to "replace it"! While that's good news I'm concerned that the replacement will do the same thing. Since there has been no response on here I assume that no one else (that has viewed the thread) has had a simular problem. Maybe it's just a fluke.
    I looked at all the fired casings I have and the Armscor casings seem to have a deeper impression from the firing pin. Like maybe the brass is softer?
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

First, welcome to TFF. It's been pretty well accepted that .22 cal rimfire ammo dows not pass thru the highest quality control standards in the industry. The higher quality ammo, Lapus, RWS, Ely, and some others, are usually a different story. .22 ammo failures are not generally a cause for concern. Knowing what your rounds are supposed to sound like is key, regardless of caliber/brand. Many folks do not know, or pay little attention, and that can cause problems. If I were you, I'd shoot the rest of it, and take the replacement if the manufacturer offers it.....being aware of abnormal sounds.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sorry for missing your post , had a mate here with a similar problem with his , but the importer here has not responded yet nor do we expect them too , ( well known as problematic that way , the distributor not the ammo)

Armscor dont make thier own ammo and i have seen them do recalls before , the company makes good to great guns , but i wont buy their ammo no more

had some 5.56mm CF stuff that was same issue , brass was not up to spec thankfully the dealer i got that from is honest as the new day , ( horsley park gun shop western sydney ) and he took it back and refunded the purchase

for my .22 lr pistol CCI , eley Rem even the russian brands are good but stay away from india and china made , seems to me they try to scrimp too much

good luck
  5. north tex

north tex Member

Thanks for the responses and the re-assurance. I've fired a lot of 22 ammo in the past and never had this kind of failure. I've had some split in a bad chamber along with the normal misfires. but I understood the cause of these. This was my first time with offshore 22s other than a brick of PMCs that gave no problem in the past. I guess this stuff is made in the Phillipines to Chinese standards... :rolleyes:
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That can be the result of soft brass, thin brass or a machine operation that creates a stress factor at the rim. In any case, it is an ammo problem, not a gun problem.

I recommend not firing that ammo, though. While the Ruger auto is a rugged gun, that case failure is letting gas into the action and that is never a good thing. Not only does it make the action dirty, there is a possibility that the gas can do some harm either to the gun or the shooter. It is common to think of the .22 LR as a low pressure round, but it is not; pressures run around 20,000 psi. The overall pressure is relatively low because the round has fewer square inches than most rounds.

JIm
  7. north tex

north tex Member

Reviving this old thread due to a re-occurance. Never heard from the importer again other than to tell me to "throw away" the remaining ammo. Replacement ammo never showed up. Decided to see if it was just a 1 round fluke.. It was not. Another one blew the rim, cut a notch out of the next round in the mag, felt the pressure come through the trigger opening. Thoroughly checked the gun, changed ammo, and fired another 100 rounds with no problems.

Looking at the blown casing makes me believe that the brass may be too thin to reliably retain the pressure. Even the firing pin dent on this one was flattened back to flush. I won't be buying any more Armscor Precision ammo based on this experience.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I had a Federal that was apparently double charged years ago that blew the case head completely off and trashed the insides of a Marlin model 60. It was a long time before I had the nerve to try any more Federals but they're about all I use now.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Armscor is definetly off my "to buy" list; I don't think I'll shoot it even if someone gives me the ammo. Thanks for the heads up!
  10. medalguy

medalguy Member

Good to know. It's on my "no go" list too!
  11. Super .38

Super .38 New Member

I have a friend who shot some Armscor 36gr HP .22lr. He had about 3 head separations and
    blowback. Had to poke the other half of the casing out with an aluminum cleaning rod.
    He was shooting a Ruger SR22. Said the ammo worked fine in his other .22s.
    I bought a brick of the ammo, and now I am not sure I want to shoot it. I wonder if anybody
    has mic'ed the diameter of these casings? Doesn't sound like a head space problem.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

First off, welcome to TFF.
    Secondly, did you by any chance notice that this thread is 3 years old?
  13. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Interesting. When I was in our LGS last week a lady was there saying she'd experienced a head separation in her Ruger MkIII using Armscor ammo. The shop sells Armscor .22lr cartridges, but up to that point hadn't received any negative feedback. I have an unopened brick, and think I'll fire a few rounds in my wife's Winchester bolt rifle to see if there are any pressure signs, stress marks etc. before using any in one of our auto-loaders.
  14. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I shot a brick of this last year and had no issue what so ever. Shot it in my Ruger 10-22, Blackhawk and bolt action. My son shot some in his Buckmark and his bolt rifle. No issue for him. I would buy again.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If I could find it at a semi-decent price, I would buy it, too.