The Firearms Forum banner

22 LR oiling ??

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  wjjones 
#1 ·
I have been out of the shooting game for so long I have forgot.. Where are the key oiling points for a 22 LR 795, and Glenfield model 60? I have recently restored my Glenfield, and now have it ready to install on the new stock but I cant remember where to oil it first... Any help would be appreciated.. Walter..

#2 ·
The general consensus is the Marlin 795 likes very little oil. I put a drop on a Q-tip. Rub it all around the bolt and inside the receiver. Then hit it with a can of air and wipe it with a cloth. Then you can use the cloth to wipe down the blueing on the gun. Use too much oil and the dirty ammo will gunk up in the action and starts to cause FTEjects and such.

#3 ·
Pretty much the same as Blackshirts. I have a small dedicated paint brush for oiling. Just a drop or two if needed on the bristles and then I brush the internals down. If I get too much on the brush I wipe it off with a rag. All I am after is a light film.

#4 ·
Thankyou for the info the user manual says to oil sparingly but not where the main oiling points are. I guessed all the mechanical moving parts but didnt want to oil where it doesnt need it. I need to ask another dumb question... Can I, or anyone paint a rifle instead of blueing it? Is it a preference between blue, or paint or are you not supposed to use paint? I ask this because I blued the rifle last week in preperation for installing it on a new stock. But for some unknown to me reason the action housing part of the rifle will not except the blue. I put it on 3 times, and it just wipes right off, and no blueing effect at all is left??? I let it set 30 seconds, then 1 min, and then 3 mins with no change in color of the metal..

#5 · (Edited)
Thankyou for the info the user manual says to oil sparingly but not where the main oiling points are. I guessed all the mechanical moving parts but didnt want to oil where it doesnt need it. I need to ask another dumb question... Can I, or anyone paint a rifle instead of blueing it? Is it a preference between blue, or paint or are you not supposed to use paint? I ask this because I blued the rifle last week in preperation for installing it on a new stock. But for some unknown to me reason the action housing part of the rifle will not except the blue. I put it on 3 times, and it just wipes right off, and no blueing effect at all is left??? I let it set 30 seconds, then 1 min, and then 3 mins with no change in color of the metal..
The only place to avoid is the slot/ groove the firing pin sits in. The firing pin should slide freely. Any oil there will just attract dirt, but the gun should operate the same. Oh, avoid putting oil on the nylon buffer too, the part behind the bolt. As for the bluing not working, the receiver housing is aluminum :p

#8 ·
Jonsey....

you can get products such as Durocoat to "Paint" your rifle. they even sell a one-time kit that is "use and toss" once you have applied the epoxied finish. they have instruction on how to use and lots of colors to choose from. Here's the link to help you decide:
http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

Curlyjoe
I will give that a look Thankyou for the link Curlyjoe...:thumbsup:..:)..

#9 ·
The only place to avoid is the slot/ groove the firing pin sits in. The firing pin should slide freely. Any oil there will just attract dirt, but the gun should operate the same. Oh, avoid putting oil on the nylon buffer too, the part behind the bolt. As for the bluing not working, the receiver housing is aluminum :p
Thankyou for the tip on the receiver not bluing I kinda was wondering why it wouldnt take there.. Aluminum doesnt respond to bluing at all huh..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.