.22 LR or .25 ACP

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Ursus, Aug 17, 2006.

?

.22 LR or .25 ACP?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2006.
  1. .22 LR

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. :25 ACP

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Ursus

Ursus New Member

If you were forced to choose between this two for self-defense; Wich one would you take?
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. The two are not far apart, Bear, at least in terms of power. Now that Speer is making a Gold Dot round for the .25 the difference has narrowed even further. I suppose that if I had to choose, I would go with the .22 LR over the .25 as having the greater stopping power (slightly!), but the .25 was designed for use in auto pistols so it is a bit more reliable in those small handguns. I do have a Beretta 21 in .25 and I chose that caliber mostly due to the functioning issue.
  3. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I picked the 22LR over the 25 ACP due to the difference in the price of the ammo.You can buy 5 boxes of 22LR to 1 box of 25 ACP ammo.The way i see it the cheaper the ammo the more likely a person will practice shooting the weapon. I allso own a Beretta 21 in 22LR. I have had this gun for about 15 yrs. with approximately 800 rds being fired though it without a single malfunction.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I voted .22 due to more ammo choices out their
  5. Others have had the same experience, Dawg, unfortunately I'm not one of them. I too had a Beretta 21 in 22LR and the darn thing never was reliable. It consistantly jammed or failed to eject. Even the Beretta factory could not fix it, though they admitted the problem existed after they examined the gun. They finally offered me a new 21 at cost and I chose to take it in .25 instead of .22LR. Once burned is twice careful, or so the old saying goes.