22 LR PENITRATION?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Rick O'Shay, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay New Member

Has anyone here seen any test on the penitration of different 22 LR ammunition? Something that included riles and handguns would be nice.
  2. keppler

keppler New Member

3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I know that a .22 short fired from a Winchester 75 rifle will go through a 2x4 like it was tissue paper. I've proved this many times to wide-eyed adults who think a .22 short can't hurt you.
  4. Shooter973

Shooter973 New Member

anybody know if a 22 lr will penetrate an inflated car tire??? Will it just bounce off or will it deflate a tire on a rim???
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    an old phone book that is soaked in water makes a good media for penetration tests. old semperfi
  6. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Hey keppler...The Box O Truth is a pretty cool site. Lots of information. Thanks
  7. William Harper

William Harper New Member

Re: 22 LR PENETRATION?

Dear Rick O'Shay:
    Most of my .22LR penetration data was obtained by shooting Tampa and Montgomery YellowBooks as targets and noting the penetration as well as the hits.
    .22 AMT Backup 2.5" barrel with .22LR Federal Automatch 3 hits full penetration on Montgomery YellowBook at 15 ft.
    .22 Remington Model Five 22" barrel with CCI Blazer 1 hit 66% penetration at 50 yards on Tampa YellowBook.
    Same rifle with Aguila Interceptor total penetration 50 yards- 300 meters.
    .22 CZ Ultra Lux with Aguila Interceptor on Tampa YellowBook- full penetration to 300 meters, 75% penetration at 400 meters. Bullet length +1/16" in railroad tie at 600 meters.
    .22 Savage Stevens Crackshot with Lapua Master L .22 LR about 66% Tampa Yellowbook at 300 meters.
    Look around for the site where a fellow shot frozen turkys at 300m with his
    .22, which is revealing as well as droll.
    Much of the data you'll pick up on the range or websites. None of it is very encouraging to anything that you would shoot with a .22 LR.
  8. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Don't know exact penetration; but a local killed two men with three shots from a 10/22 using WM bulk ammo.
    Not to be taken lightly.