.22 Mag for SD

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by carver, Aug 2, 2011.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    JLA has posted some really good info on the .22LR, and it's effectiveness as a SD weapon. I would like to know what you all think of the .22 Mag as a SD round. This site gives some interesting information, http://brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page1541.htm I am thinking about buying the Taurus revolver, with 2.0” barrel, it holds 8 rounds. Loaded with snake shot it would be a very effective snake gun. And loaded with FMJ solids, I think it would do as a BUG. Any comments, suggestions?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Carver i'm grabbing one of these as a bush carry , light hunter ( we aint allowed SD carry so its for hunting bunnies)

http://www.northamericanarms.com/earl.html

and i got one of these for making a bicycle gun ( combination pistol and rifle )

http://www.naaminis.com/magnum.html

at most SD ranges ( within 15 feet sadly )

a .22 magnum will penetrate a military bush jacket , wool jumper , sweat shirt and t shirt then bust a rib and dig into your back so it shows , and straight through a jeans clad thigh no problem

(mate was shot with one and his word is he was not doing much but going down hurting )

if anyone thinks twice if you need to pull it they are in for a world of hurt and quite possibly on a one way ticket

oh i shoot goats, big roo's etc with .22 mag

a big roo is bigger than a man , tougher too

head shoot anything similar with a mag and it'll drop forever no worries

chest , there in strife but probably survive if they dont shock out or if it dont hit the heart or lung blood supply ( lower lungs shouldn't be fatal with .22 still not enough impact)

that said , double or triple taps to the chest with a magnum and all bets are off , especially if they are close together ,
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. carver

carver Moderator

I am looking at this little revolver from Taurus. The wife has a real problem with recoil. I bought her one of the NAA .22 Mag revolvers, and she likes it, but it is SA only, and is not built to handle well. This revolver might solve the recoil problem, and as you state, a double, or tripple tap might get the job done very well.

Attached Files:

4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if she likes it, trusts it and learns and practise with it , do it ..

good onya for lookin after ya Mrs
  5. carver

carver Moderator

Thank you! I have bought her 4, or 5 different guns, from the LCP to a 38 snuby, and it's always the same story, to much recoil. She loves to shot her .22LR rifle, and she likes the .22LR revolver that we have, so I thought the .22Mag just might be the answer to her problems.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont have a .22 mag pistol or revolver anymore Myles, or Id test them the same.

Anyone with a .22 MAG pistol or revolver and the means to test, feel free. This is solid gold info for our members here..

As for the .22 mag as a defenseve round. I think its way more than adequate. the Kinetic wound channel would be enough to make hamburger meat of a badguys face. Which is a ballistic property the .22LR doesnt have because its, for the most part, subsonic from a pistol. The .22 mag on the otherhand is well over sonic speed in a short barrel and will bear the dreaded kinetic cavitation upon impact of a soft target.
  7. H-D

H-D Active Member

I thought about it when I heard Keltec had a 22 mag with a 30 round mag its ugly as sin though , Anyway my wife wanted a .357 mag so thats what she got she shoots .38 spl in it the .357 is a little much for her
  8. Whodat

Whodat New Member

22mag. is just to @#$^!% loud:eek:! Not to mention a mini flame thrower:), from a short barrel guys. OK for you I guess but I don't know how your wife or girl friend will feel if they have to use it inside the house or room or whatever:D. You definitely want to take your better half for a test shoot before you buy one for them. Just sayin:).
  9. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Keltec P-32? Better ballistics and manageable, moreso than a .380.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree thet they are damn loud and make big fire. But in a SD situation, I doubt muzzle flash and how loud the round is is going to matter much. For me anyway, Id be dumping the weapon centermass and looking for a reload.. And knowing Myles and Laura personally, Myles will be teaching Mrs. Laura to do exactly the same thing.

But the .22 mag does rival full blown .357 mags in equally sized weapons as far as BOOM and FLASH are concerned..
  11. carver

carver Moderator

Has anyone checked out the link in my OP?
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes i have :D ( but its bookmarked here already ;) )

they failed to do a resistance test on the block but seeing it had only been outta the fridge 4 mins , it'd be nice and thick

and also they use FMJ so theres less shock imparted and it penetrates further ( unless it hits a rib and deforms )

i'll find the 40 grn hollowpoint wmr pic's and test and post them for you
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  13. carver

carver Moderator

Thank you Jack!
  14. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I carried an AMT .22 Mag for years. I loved that pistol. Peolple assumed it was a much larger caliber weapon when I fired. I had a NAA .22 Mag. revolver ( with the folding handle) for a a while as a deputy as a third gun and never fired it but once. A .22 Mag. will penetrate a pit bull skull...trust me.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Carver there was a site i had a bookmark for that had the hollowpoint balistics but its now gone .. sorry , and why i been grabbing from everywhere i can , but i think this place had a java roll over thing that you could not swipe the pics from ..

sorry mate , but it was impressive , the "wound track" did NOT close up like the FMG and this guy put a sheet of denim in front of the block to shock how much fabric helps to impart shock ( i think that was 9mm only though )

sad its gone