.22 mag?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by apolo, Oct 16, 2009.

1. apolo

apolo New Member

This may sound like a dumb question but, can u use .22 magnum in a mossberg 702 plinkster?
    Thanx!
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

No. According to the owners manual it is chambered for 22lr only.
  3. apolo

apolo New Member

Could you possibly point me in the right direction twords a good .22 mag gun or .17 hmr gun. (cheaper price range)
  4. williamd

williamd New Member

No. Doubt you can even get it in!

I have a revolver that shoots 22lr or 22mag ... but I have to change cylinders to accomodate the longer 22mag case.

JohnTheCalifornian - I am living proof you can get lots of aftermarket parts so p'parets missing' is no excuse! Bakersfield .. ugh! Was there three weeks ago but could find no one to give me directions in English so drove on to Monterey.
  5. JohnTheCalifornian

I know how you feel. It irritates me to no end the amount of people who speak spanish. They want us to learn their language, cater to their needs. We are in AMERICA!, not MEXICO.
  6. JohnTheCalifornian

Im not a expert on guns by any means, I think it really depends on if you want a bolt action rifle or a semi-automatic rifle.

I believe 17hmr is a little on the expensive side. You may try looking at Remington, Ruger, and Marlin for a rifle in 22 mag or 17. All 3 I believe make a bolt action rifle for both those calibers.

Here is a semi auto in 22mag from Remington
    http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597_magnum.asp

You can look at their other rimfire guns on the site and see what you like.

Here is a list of Mossberg 17hmr rifles, prices dont seem to be too bad
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=29&display=specs

The ruger 17's I found are on the more expensive end
    http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=40&variation=77/17®&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

This should get you going in the right direction. Hopefully others will come and add some more input and maybe some other types of rifles. Cause there are more for sure. They may have experience with them too. Also Marlin makes good 22 mag rifles. may want to check them out as well.
  7. apolo

apolo New Member

Thanx for the help!
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

get a savage... Wal mart sells them both in .22 mag and .17 HMR... if they arent on the rack in sporting goods, ask the clerk if you can look at the special order catalog. 50%down gets it ordered and you can pay the remainder when you pick it up...